TV and Video in the Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKTony

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a TV/Video in there workshop, i have a spare portable and Player and would like to watch and pause my woodturning videos i seem to forget everything by the time i get to the garage.

I was thinking of building a box with a glass door that you lift up to stop dust and shavings getting to it, would this work and what should i do about air circulation etc

Many thanks

Tony

Dust is likely to get anywhere once the box is opened.
I cant see any reason for having a TV/Video in my workshop.
Any spare space is likely to get filled with the 'must have' tools that normally fill a workshop.
I'd prefer sitting comfortably in the house watching such videos a number of times in case I missed something the first two or three times.
The only TV related thing I could imagine in a workshop would be a video camera as I am sure there are a great many normal woodworkers who can make a better job than some of the so called woodworking shows on H&L (Wood Works & Boyz in the Wood spring to mind).
Well, I do wear tartan shirts (because they're cheap and warm) and have a beard but I dont think I'll be much competition for Mr Abrams. ;)

As Dewy says dust, dust, and more dust is the problem.

The only place that i could think of setting one up in is my finishing room. I have separated it from the main workshop with 2 doors and a vestibule in between and along with my ceiling hung extractor this keeps the dust at bay.

I don't think that they would last long in the main workshop.

Why not look at the tape a few times and make some notes?

Good luck with your turning.

Woody

UK Tony - As others have said dust can be so fine you don't even see it but you can bet it'll find it's way into a video machine where it'll ruin the heads in a matter of hours. A TV will put up with some dust and you could watch live programmes, but a video - no way. Let us know if you find a solution because I happen to think viewing them in the w/shop is good idea, apart from the dust problem.

You can build a cabinet with a door, but the back needs slots, or holes to let the heat out. A wooden air vent could also work.

I generally retreat to the shop to escape that mess... gotta have a sanity break on a regular basis...

Tony

Just a thought. If you left the tape running and looked up at the wrong moment......

Have come up with a more enhanced solution, i have a few spare laptops in the office so ive streamed a vhs tape onto the hard disk and will take the laptop in with me tonight, less heat and less of a dust issue since there are limited moving parts, also means i can cut out the irrelevent parts on the video. Tony - Saftey is an issue but the idea is it watch a scene ie instructor turning a bead and then pause it and try it out, so there should be no distraction

UKtony,

From a practical standpoint, if you enclose the TV/video in a box, howabout providing positive pressure ventilation/cooling using an inline toilet/shower fan (cheap a la Screwfix) ducted into the box from outside via the usual flexi-hose. Wire the fan supply in tandem with the TV/video so it always comes on when the TV is switched on. Voila - dust free cooling.

Ike

Ike

I like this idea will save me time with transferring them to the laptop, will have a go at this and post a progess pic

UKTony - I think Ike might have solved the problem :D - In the petrochem industry positive pressure is often used to ensure that equipment that might cause sparks etc. is isolated from the flammeable atmosphere, e.g. Radio equipment at a refinery is normally in a cabin with air pumped in from a safe area.

Latest posts

Back