TV ads - Funeral plans for the over 50's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dibs-h

Established Member
Reaction score
1st off - I'm not over 50 (nothing against anyone who is).
2nd - I don't have a plan.

I see these ads on TV aimed at the baby boomer generation and think WTF? Why would anyone in their right mind want to leave their kids an inheritance and then also want to pay for their own funeral?

Especially when it seems the norm - kids fly the coup, live their own lives and keep their hands in the pockets etc. (not necessarily anything wrong with that) but then come back and collect a wedge and even have the funeral paid for.

Minor rant over.

Dibs

normally it comes out of the estate, whether prepaid, paid from the estate at the time or reimbursed because family have paid. It reduces the liability for inheritance tax by a few quid.

I like the advert where the deceased specified in great detail everything that he wanted, no expense spared, and had no thought about who was going to pay for it because he had no money.

marcros":1t6tufyl said:
normally it comes out of the estate, whether prepaid, paid from the estate at the time or reimbursed because family have paid. It reduces the liability for inheritance tax by a few quid.

That's my expectation or maybe used to be the norm. Whereas now they want you to take out insurance to pay for it so your heirs don't. So pay for your insurance, reduce your disposable income a tad and leave a bundle for the heirs. Seems bonkers to me.

marcros":1t6tufyl said:
I like the advert where the deceased specified in great detail everything that he wanted, no expense spared, and had no thought about who was going to pay for it because he had no money.

Not seen that one (yet). LOL

Anything I can do to reduce the burden on my children/leave as much money as possible for them when I die. I'll do.

I think my answer to this is don't have a funeral. I'll put some money aside for some drinks and a barbecue and then my kids can dump my body in the sea and let the crabs eat me.

My nana seemed to get smaller every year until she declared herself small enough to fit in a black bin liner and that when the day came we were to but her out for the bin men to take away.

Don’t plant me in the ground, I’m not going to grow. I like the idea of burial at sea for the crabs to feast on.

Fitz.

Suffolkboy":2v7sn2vj said:
Anything I can do to reduce the burden on my children/leave as much money as possible for them when I die. I'll do.

I think my answer to this is don't have a funeral. I'll put some money aside for some drinks and a barbecue and then my kids can dump my body in the sea and let the crabs eat me.
Not sure about the crabs but totally agree with giving the kids / grandkids as much as I can - like my Mum & Dad did.
Maybe leave the cost of a funeral so as they can have a short break and remember that as a happy memory rather than a miserable crematorium.

I've done the best for my kids and will continue to do so until they are in adulthood and settled into their lives.

After that - the default position for the money tap is off. Try to live my life to the best I can, not taking out funeral plans\insurance as the estate can cover that and the rest can go them and other worthy causes.

Dibs-h":3eshieo4 said:
I've done the best for my kids and will continue to do so until they are in adulthood and settled into their lives.

After that - the default position for the money tap is off. Try to live my life to the best I can, not taking out funeral plans\insurance as the estate can cover that and the rest can go them and other worthy causes.

Yep, work hard, look after your family and have a beer on a Saturday night.

As for a send off, this is the only way (warning, couple of rudish words at the start):

Mr Brightside, the late Gerard Foley:

[youtube]digsMgWmrL8[/youtube]

I always assumed the main market for such plans was those whose estate would not otherwise cover the cost of a funeral.

Glynne":1k4jkmmg said:
Suffolkboy":1k4jkmmg said:

Not sure about the crabs but totally agree with giving the kids / grandkids as much as I can - like my Mum & Dad did.
Maybe leave the cost of a funeral so as they can have a short break and remember that as a happy memory rather than a miserable crematorium.

Well, crabs and fish and shrimps and mussells etc. They'd all get a bit.

pipper leaving it all to my Olly, he'll do alright but I'm going to enjoy myself in a few years time.

Fitzroy":3n15qmlo said:
Don’t plant me in the ground, I’m not going to grow. I like the idea of burial at sea for the crabs to feast on.

Fitz.

You say that but I like the idea of those wicker burials with a tree - seems only fair to me, all things considered.

As for the inheritance - despite my father being worth a fair bit I've told him (and his 3rd wife) multiple times to do what he (they) like with it - not my money, I didn't earn it. Sure it would be handy, but as he might live another 5 - 10 years that would make me 55-60, and then I'd still have to wait for his wife to die - so at least 60-65, if not more, if she lives to 85, I'll be 70 - not much good to me by then and absolutely no guarentee they die before me.

Give me enough to bury myself - that'll do, no need for a wake - I doubt anyone would turn up - just like my 18th birthday.

Latest posts

Back