Tutorial on piercing ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob, you can always ask Nick's advice, he's a very amiable chap and will always answer an email regarding his articles (although I believe he is away for a couple of days). He also sells some very good piercing bits in his shop!

duncanh":1kg9fhvy said:
gus3049":1kg9fhvy said:
Phil has given you all the info you need really but I would suggest that as a start, on the assumption you have a compressor that you get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-...Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item563e0ab0e9 It needs 6psi and uses quite a lot of air so a decent compressor is necessary.

Interesting! I know nothing about compressors, so what should I look for and approx. what price should I expect as a minimum?

Hi Duncan,

Mine is a 50 ltr, 2.5hp jobbie and works fine if a little noisily, bought it here so it was a crazy price as always. The price range seems extreme on eBay but it wouldn't have to work too hard. Anything from £80 to £500 for the usual Sealey/Clarke extortion. Around £100 - £150 should buy a decent enough machine I would think.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...ressors&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

One safety point I should have also mentioned is that most burrs and cutters are designed to run up to a max 30,000 rpm unless otherwise stated so check suitability to purpose when purchasing. Tungsten carbide versions last longer and are more expensive,

gus3049":edjodb36 said:
Hi Duncan,

Mine is a 50 ltr, 2.5hp jobbie and works fine if a little noisily, bought it here so it was a crazy price as always. The price range seems extreme on eBay but it wouldn't have to work too hard. Anything from £80 to £500 for the usual Sealey/Clarke extortion. Around £100 - £150 should buy a decent enough machine I would think.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...ressors&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Thanks. I think the limiting factor (other than price of course) would be the lack of space in the shed - only 12' x 6'. Could put a small extension on the side for it and an extractor but perhaps it's time for a new workshop...

duncanh":3uothdjr said:
<snip>
Thanks. I think the limiting factor (other than price of course) would be the lack of space in the shed - only 12' x 6'. Could put a small extension on the side for it and an extractor but perhaps it's time for a new workshop...

Duncan - Definitely time for a new workshop - but still keep the compressor and extractor outside. Workshop size is a balance between being too large it is impossible to economically keep warm and being too small; at 12 x 6 - the size of my greenhouse, that's too small !! :D My old workshop was tiresomely narrow at 5ft 9 but had the length (15') to cope with the long timbers I was processing then for a house rebuild. The new one is 2.5m x 4m (I've gone metric in the meantime!) which so much more usable, plus properly insulated. The extractor is elsewhere and the compressor when I get one will be so too.

Rob

Hi all sorry I did not reply earlier but have been somewhat busy catching up with e-mails and unpacking after the weekend at Harrogate, we unfortunatly sold out of piercing bits these are available from www.shesto.co.uk or direct from me when I get some new stock in.
I use klien burrs for texturing and piercing as they do the job.
We released my latest DVD Ying and Yang at Harogate. it explains both the kit and bits I use to do the piercing work if you are interested please e-mail via my website.
I would also like to give you the heads up about a new series of articles that has been commisioned for furure publication possibly around April next year including this very subject, I will probably get into trouble for doing this but hey ho.
As has already been mentioned we as writers are often confined by the space allocated and on occasions the type of article that has been commissioned, I do appreciate that this may well be frustrating but I am only to happy to be contacted if you have questions regardfing my articles I have had published in the Woodturning Magazine again please do so via my web site just put my name into google and you will find me.
Hope this is of help
Nick Arnull.

Many thanks Nick - I should apologise for my rant earlier, but I think we all recognise that the author is not the source of the problem !

I'm going to drop you a line with a query and an order for the DVD - thanks for being generous with your time.

Rob

Rob,

I am pleased to see that Nick has managed to sort your problems out for you.

If there is anyone else interested in free interactive sessions on creative techniques using rotary tools and other stuff it may be worth a look at my Blog sometime. Early days but I'm hoping things will work out.

Phil

Back