Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A6B8DCAA-CBA4-4201-AE1D-FDF63E193DAB.jpeg
18” natural edge oak bowl a Christmas gift for my daughter-in-law

Attachments

• A6B8DCAA-CBA4-4201-AE1D-FDF63E193DAB.jpeg
    A6B8DCAA-CBA4-4201-AE1D-FDF63E193DAB.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 596
Very nice but for my personal taste I would liked to have seen a more flowing form where the sides meet the bottom.

I am sure that she will be very pleased with it

That's one big bowl! I've never had much luck keeping the oak bark on turnings, it just flies off usually hitting me in the face.

Dalboy":1zivulfk said:
Very nice but for my personal taste I would liked to have seen a more flowing form where the sides meet the bottom.

I've only had one go at a live edge bowl like this and really struggled to get a consistent flowing curve to the inside. Any tips?

TFrench":28yr76ru said:
Dalboy":28yr76ru said:

I've only had one go at a live edge bowl like this and really struggled to get a consistent flowing curve to the inside. Any tips?

Get the outside flowing first where you can see the shape much more easily and then when you do the inside follow that and replicate the outer shape. It is one of those things that is easier to show someone in person than to write it down. Avoid trying to follow the shape of the blank as this quite often leads to the dog bowl shape. Use a standard grind bowl gouge which I found easier to use when I started turning.

With this bowl, I gave the bottom a flowing shape all be it a slight ogee and then once done followed that on the inside. I had to do about 1" of the inside to completion before moving down another 1" and so on otherwise there would be no support on the wings to do finishing cuts. Sanding on the wings was done by hand.
I hope some of that makes sense

DSCF7438 (1024x768).jpg

Attachments

• DSCF7438 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF7438 (1024x768).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 389
Dalboy":295iwu9l said:

The photo is misleading with the light shining in the bottom, it did flow and was not flat bottomed as it looks

Back