Turning tools for a first-timer ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been given a Ferm 5 speed wood lathe, FHB940, covered in rust but in full working order although where I'm going to put it in my 'workshop' is another question altogether :roll: :) Anyway, when I do find the space and time to get to grips with it what tools I am best to start off with when trying my hand at turning ?

Thanks all.

Probably a cheap set will cover most eventualities. I got a Perform set of 6 from Axminster that includes bowl gouge, roughing gouge, spindle gouge, round nose scraper, parting tool and a skew chisel. This seems to cover the majority of things. If I remember there was change from £60.

As time goes by you will probably find that there are other tools that you will want to add to your collection. Welcome to the addiction :D :D

Add to that a copy of Keith Rowley's 'Woodturning, A Foundation Course'.....ok it ain't a tool but you'll find it's £15 well spent.

The book and video of "Woodturning; a foundation course" are currently on offer at Craft Supplies for £19.95 the set. Usually £34.50, so a good deal even allowing for postage. I agree with Mylor; it's a must-have for the lathe owner. I would say it taught me all I know, but that might not be considered a recommendation if you've seen my turning... :oops: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back