Turning tool suggestions/recommendations

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having bought a basic woodturning lathe, I need to buy some turning tools. I have recently bought a set of Narex Mortice Chisels which seem very good and reasonably priced and wondered if anyone has any experience of their turning tools?

They do a five piece set that is about £90 and an HSS set for double that. I am leaning towards the former as I use a Tormek for most of my tool grinding. I will never be doing lots of turning, the lathe is there to support my furniture making, so am not sure I will benefit from the HSS sets. Any other suggestions about what to buy would be appreciated as it is a long time since I last owned a woodturning lathe.

Regards, Colin

I think most folks would say don't buy a set, buy just those you need for the first projects be they bowl or spindle work, and if you are primarily complimenting bench work I suspect spindle work is going to be your initial aim.
Having said that a 3/8-1/2" ** HSS bowl gouge is pretty much a universal tool for spindle and bowl use.
**(dimension depends on whether it is UK or USA spec.)

Have a look at This link from the help sticky at the top of the section.

Also if you get the chance to visit a wood centric show, handle the different brands of each tool, there is a difference in balance and handle configuration, pick the brand that feels most comfortable and balance in your hand, not necessarily all from the same stable.

I would not normally recommend sets of tools as some will end up not being used But having said that I was fortunate enough to have won a set of Robert Sorby tools and found that all in there are of use. If you look at the link that CHJ has linked to his first post gives a list of useful tools compare that to what is in the Robert Sorby set HERE and you will see they match very close

I would agree with the set in Dalboy's link being a good selection that will serve you well for the majority of projects. That is pretty much what I use most of the time but I would add a larger scraper as another option.

Sorby 67HS set is very good. I started with the Axminster “set” but I find the Sorby one much better. I did add a longer 3/8” and 1/2” bowl gouge (when on offer) as these seem to be my “go to” tools.

However, the Axminster tools still have a roll to play, because the Sorby ones are more delicate and precise, but sometimes something a little straightforward is required as well.

I have a Sorby sharpening system so the Sorby tools were immediately setup but the Axminster required some rework. Now they are all setup to a “Sorby” standard.

FWIW, it’s often recommended not to go with a “set”, but I find them all useful. Even the spindle gouge which I have largely ignored until recently, but now find useful at times.

Another recommendation for the sorby set, they are Well thought out and I use all of the 5, you will end up adding as required but a good place to start.

Hi,

thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the Sorby sets. My 'upgrade' grey CL4 lathe arrived last Tuesday and is now all assembled and running so I am running out of excuses not to start turning something.

As part of the deal I bought a Sorby ProEdge with a host of jigs and the seller included a set of Draper turning tools. I'm sure that those tools are not in the same league as the Sorby ones, but they will allow me to practice sharpening which was my downfall in my previous foray into woodworking some years ago.

regards,

Colin

Latest posts

Back