Turning plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth.hilton

Still learning
Reaction score
I have made a couple wooden mugs from various materials, and now I wish to try using plywood to make a mug but I am nor sure if it is possible. Has anyone else done a project using ply and if so how successful or unsuccessful was it?

Youtube usually comes up with something. Just watched a guy turning a plywood bowl and there is a lot of tear out and voids.

I suppose a lot would depend on what quality plywood you were using. I read something about plywood the other day and there is a difference in what sort of glue is used.

Good quality ply is the best .
I've done a few bowls , vases and snowmen .
Just glue up a load of ply and away you go .
If you turn whatever it is your doing with the glue up lines running parallel with the lathe bed you get some smart patterns appearing but when the delaminates it can be a bit exciting !
Also looks quite funky if you put different colours of spirit stains on inbetween sanding .

Turning ply might produce some interesting visuals.
BUT not the right material for a mug - if you actually intend to use it. ( if not, why make it )
End grain would need to be sealed. The glues in ply are not suitable for food contact.
Might look good but I am sure you could do better.

Turning ply might produce some interesting visuals.
BUT not the right material for a mug - if you actually intend to use it. ( if not, why make it )
End grain would need to be sealed. The glues in ply are not suitable for food contact.
Might look good but I am sure you could do better.
Good call Sawtooth something I overlooked. I have the blank made up but will turn it into something else. (no pun intended lol)

Good call Sawtooth something I overlooked. I have the blank made up but will turn it into something else. (no pun intended lol)
You could still go ahead. I have made salt and pepper pots in the past from birch ply. To keep them clean and hygienic I coated them with Rustin's Plastic Coating. This would effectively encase your mug and make it waterproof and easy to clean. The finish is a bit temperamental - you have to wait sufficient time before rubbing it back and using the polishing compound to bring it to a high gloss - but it has proved durable.

Back