Turning Nylon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munty Scruntfundle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.

Has anyone here tried turning nylon on a wood lathe? I currently don’t have a metal lathe.

Obviously there are many different nylons, any advice appreciated.

Thank you.

Yep, I've done it. It turns nicely, but clean your work area first.......the waste is horrible to clean up if mixed up with a whole lot of sawdust.

what are you making? I have turned acetal, which turns well enough on a wood lathe, but is an issue trying to glue it to anything.

It's easy enough to turn though noticeable differences between grades, as said scraper or carbide tools and you should aim to get a finish from the tool if you can as sanding can be a pain, if I need to sand I usually use wet and dry.

The shavings are awful and usually charged with static so stick everywhere and wrap themselves around the piece as you work. Don't use too high a speed either but you'll soon discover what's best.

I have quite a lot of various types from my offcuts haul when I worked in the industry many years ago and it's very useful material to have. I used some nylon 66 to make new wheel bushes for my golf trolley just last week

As mentioned in my Tips & Tricks thread, the use of a tumble drier sheet will alleviate most of the static problems including on goggles or face shield.

Back