Turning long, thin spindles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightweeder

Established Member
Reaction score
I know I'm not the only person who has difficulties turning long, thin spindles, with all the vibration and whip associated. I've bought myself a 'steady', which is currently being milled to fit my lathe, but can I just mention the article in December edition of 'Woodturning' - P.15 to be specific. I've been struggling to find the time to read it, but wish I had done so earlier. I've always tried to keep spindles evenly turned the whole length, mistakenly thinking it would help. I was sceptical that turning 'bit by bit' and leaving one very thin area would work, but it really does. I've been using this method today and I wish I'd seen this article before I bought my 'rest' !!!

Oh well, perhaps you can make use of the steady on some future projects, I know Pete (Bodrighy) has in the past made a fair few knitting needles etc, needs must if you need to make a living but not something I tackle for fun.

CHJ":1wpl6koh said:
Oh well, perhaps you can make use of the steady on some future projects, I know Pete (Bodrighy) has in the past made a fair few knitting needles etc, needs must if you need to make a living but not something I tackle for fun.

It'll get used Chas, I don't doubt!

Lightweeder":1esbcjse said:
I know I'm not the only person who has difficulties turning long, thin spindles, with all the vibration and whip associated. I've bought myself a 'steady', which is currently being milled to fit my lathe, but can I just mention the article in December edition of 'Woodturning' - P.15 to be specific. I've been struggling to find the time to read it, but wish I had done so earlier. I've always tried to keep spindles evenly turned the whole length, mistakenly thinking it would help. I was sceptical that turning 'bit by bit' and leaving one very thin area would work, but it really does. I've been using this method today and I wish I'd seen this article before I bought my 'rest' !!!

Some turners make candle holders (etc) with super thin stems (e.g. 3mm) just to prove they can - a turner's party piece.

It's quite amusing to see them on offer at craft fairs, since they have little intrinsic merit, other than being hard to make, which most customers don't know!

BugBear

bugbear":1d5pfpao said:
Lightweeder":1d5pfpao said:

Some turners make candle holders (etc) with super thin stems (e.g. 3mm) just to prove they can - a turner's party piece.

It's quite amusing to see them on offer at craft fairs, since they have little intrinsic merit, other than being hard to make, which most customers don't know!

BugBear

So far, I would be profoundly unable to do that!

Latest posts

Back