Turning long tapered table stretchers...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJS2018

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I’m new to woodturning and have an Axminster AT1416vs lathe with an extension bed. I have to make some round, tapered from an inch and half to three quarters of an inch from the middle out, table stretches that are 50 inches long from American Black Walnut.

Obviously my lathe is too short to take the stock, does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of making them in two sections and joining them somehow, but I’m sure someone has a better and easier solution.

Thanks in advance,

AJ

To join in the middle, use a spigot and socket (round mortice and tenon) joint.
Possibly use a thin bead at the joint to disguise the join.
spindle.jpg

Attachments

• spindle.jpg
    spindle.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 485
CHJ":2w3sjrld said:
To join in the middle, use a spigot and socket (round mortice and tenon) joint.
Possibly use a thin bead at the joint to disguise the join.

Will joining like that or any other method I can think about be strong enough?

Decent fit and glue, no reason it should not be, a 'stretcher' by definition should be in compression not shear or tension.

AJS2018":10lolk2d said:
Thanks very much, I’m going to turn them in two sections and join them as you suggest.

AJ

I have done this several times on various projects, you may need a steady to stop vibration or support with your hand whilst cutting.

I would take the tailstock off and put it on a bench or stand so you can turn it full length. You'll need to mimic the lathe bed in wood for the tailstock to sit on. If the length of your bed is more than half the length of the stretcher then turn half and flip it over in the lathe and turn the other half. If shorter a long tool rest can be made from a board or piece of angle iron.

Pete

The stretchers are a little over 50 inches long, I may well try extending the tail stock although I’m a bit apprehensive about extending the bed in wood. If there are anymore ideas I would be happy to hear them.

AJ

Back