Turning is Heaven in 2011

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the season started with a request for some staples, good old pencil pots, a chance to use up some of the off-cuts.

Attachments

• Cherry & Spalted Beech (90mm).jpg
    Cherry & Spalted Beech (90mm).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,742
  • Oak & Mahogany (70mm).jpg
    Oak & Mahogany (70mm).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,742
  • Oak-Mahogany (70mm).jpg
    Oak-Mahogany (70mm).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 2,742
  • Ash & Mahogany (98mm).jpg
    Ash & Mahogany (98mm).jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 2,741
This afternoon saw something a little more attractive come out of the shed.

A chunk of Antipodean Burr forced into my collection by Richard Burrow, Thanks Rich, got the brain cells working on finger preservation and sorting out how to clean up the base. Bowl depression 195mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN2413.JPG
    DSCN2413.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 2,730
  • DSCN2412.JPG
    DSCN2412.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 2,731
  • DSCN2414.JPG
    DSCN2414.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 2,731
Hi Chaz,

I am so happy you are posting your work again, you set the standard for elegance, design and finishing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the quality of your finish is aspirational. As a relatively new turner I look at your work as the no.1 guide on how to finish a piece.

Beautiful.

Cheers,

Lee.

Lavally stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gives me some thoughts on some wood that I can't think what to do with !!!!!!!!!!

Imitation is the best compliment that you can get. ????

Brendan taught me that one hehehheheheheh ( bmac )

Very nice work Chas

My favorite pen holder is the Cherry & Spalted Beech , nice colour contrast and shape

I especially like the Burr

Quality turnings

8)

cambournepete":2n0jme09 said:
Hi Chas,
How do you finish the rough part of the burr?
I can see it's shiny so I'm guessing a spray lacquer, but how do you prepare it before that?

1. Wire brush the loose particles off.
2. Secure any unstable bits with CA. if bark still present.
3. Brush on Cellulose Sanding sealer, (I use diluted about 15%) let it soak well in to secure loose bark.
4. Burnish with a domed Bristle Brush attached to the Chestnut Buffing arbor.
5. Burnish again with a smattering of Canauba and/or MC wax.

An oddment of Elm provided a few minutes of relaxation. (140mm dia.)
DSCN2424.JPG
DSCN2421.JPG

Then having got into the swing of things decided the afternoon deserved something a little more worthwhile. Elm again (195mm dia.)
DSCN2422.JPG
DSCN2423.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2424.JPG
    DSCN2424.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 2,749
  • DSCN2421.JPG
    DSCN2421.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 2,768
  • DSCN2422.JPG
    DSCN2422.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 2,750
  • DSCN2423.JPG
    DSCN2423.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,768
hello mr chas
=D> regarding the very lovely pencil pots, could i ask what glue / adhesive you use / recommend to join the various woods?
(i am guessing you run the various woods through a thicknesser, glue, clamp then turn? :oops: )

I do like the second elm bowl Chas. The grain is lovely. The first is OK, but I have never been a great fan of very small bases on bowls/goblets/etc. I love to see the elegance and stability of something that won't fall over when in use. Just a personal opinion. Much netter for me if the small foot were to be removed. Lovely shape from there up :D

Elm, love it!

nev":1h45t5zh said:
.....when applying the CA , do you apply one thin bead centrally all around?
You need to make sure both surfaces are covered, you need maximum surface area bond, both surfaces must be absolutely flat.

Medium CA as a bead can be worked to spread by rubbing parts together before it activates but you will need to wait longer for cure.

You can use PVA but you will need to leave clamped overnight on each glue up, strong enough but not recommended as you can get glue creep on joints as wood moves.

Casamite is good and does not creep, again you need to leave clamped until cured.

Jonzjob":178lwvqq said:
....... The first is OK, but I have never been a great fan of very small bases on bowls/goblets/etc. I love to see the elegance and stability of something that won't fall over when in use. ....
I'm with you there John in general terms, in it's defense it is more stable than at first impression because of the thin walls the bulk of the weight is low down, so it's virtually self righting.

A little voice said " I want one of those rounded Lidded Pots only about twice the size" so on the basis that it is not wise to ignor little voices:-

Sycamore and Pau Rosa (195mm dia.)
DSCN2426.JPG
DSCN2427.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2426.JPG
    DSCN2426.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,139
  • DSCN2427.JPG
    DSCN2427.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,137
Back