Turning Iroko problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo367

Reaction score
iroko.a carpenter friend gave me a 12" by 4",4"lump,cut it into 3.turned the outside shape,beut,went to hollow out and it just kept taking small chunks out,any tips would be appreciated,only started turning 3 months ago,jimbo

Hi Jimbo, and welcome.
first thoughts would be (as you are new to turning) is that its probably tool related as opposed to wood related - what gouge are you using? is it sharp? and is being presented in the correct manner?
Have you had any tuition or pointers? following books, dvd's etc?
we can probably help enlighten you if you give us a bit more info :) and pics are always helpful too.

Hi jimbo!

I have turned iroko a few times now and have never had any real problems with it apart from the dust :O

We use iroko a lot in work and what I have noticed with the wood is that it is prone to chipping whilst machining if the cutters aren't that sharp, so the first thing I would check if I were you would be the grind/sharpness of your tools.

jimbo367":3mcac8wo said:
iroko.a carpenter friend gave me a 12" by 4",4"lump,cut it into 3.turned the outside shape,beut,went to hollow out and it just kept taking small chunks out,any tips would be appreciated,only started turning 3 months ago,jimbo

Reading this again, I suspect you are trying to take out end grain iroko, possibly with the wrong tool (or at least a badly ground one) and almost certainly, as you've only just started tuning, to big an overhang on the rest. If so, it ain't going to work.

Latest posts

Back