Turning individual scanned pages into one document

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

This may simply be a case of not knowing the right phrase to Google for, otherwise I'm sure what I want to know is out there somewhere. :roll: I have some particular articles in my assortment of woodworking mags that's I'd like to gather together in electronic form for easier access (before the mags in question disintegrate completely) - PDF seems the obvious to make them searchable and such, but perhaps I'm mistaken? Anyway, I can scan each page without trouble. I can save each separate page in PDF format if I want. But how can I get two or more scanned pages to become one two or more paged document? I'm happy to go "D'oh" if it's a blindingly obvious answer - I just wanna know. [-o< :lol:

Cheers, Alf

may sound like a silly question, but what software are you using to create the PDF?

Chiba, no joy. :(

WiZeR, I think that may be the problem - Adobe Photoshop LE. I wondered vaguely if there was some suitable freeware instead of Adobe Acrobat (which I'm guessing is what I need?), but not knowing the technical terms it's hard to know what to look for. Don't tell me, I delude myself and I'm stuffed. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

AFAIK you can really only do it with Acrobat.

Alf,
It is easily done with OpenOffice.org the freebie version of MS Office which can export stuff directly as a PDF.

Just import your scans into a document and hit the PDF button!

WiZeR, that was conclusion that was slowly dawning on me. :oops:

Chris, you can? I'll give that a go then; thanks. Been thinking of trying that out anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Steve Maskery":2fp2lztn said:
Chris,
That's excellent news! It works a treat, too!
Great, TVM,

Ditto

That's a very, very useful thing to know, Chris.

Gill

Alf, OCR means Optical Character Recognition. The software is used in conjunction with your scanner to create an editable document. If you scan your pages through an OCR application, you can not only combine the pages into a single document, you can change the wording, fonts, etc. It would be as if you'd typed it all into a Word document before making the PDF.

OpenOffice seems to do the job well enough, so I'm sorted. Thanks folks. :D Now for the marathon scanning session... :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":26kcy1fa said:
Folks,

This may simply be a case of not knowing the right phrase to Google for, otherwise I'm sure what I want to know is out there somewhere. :roll: I have some particular articles in my assortment of woodworking mags that's I'd like to gather together in electronic form for easier access (before the mags in question disintegrate completely) - PDF seems the obvious to make them searchable and such, but perhaps I'm mistaken? Anyway, I can scan each page without trouble. I can save each separate page in PDF format if I want. But how can I get two or more scanned pages to become one two or more paged document? I'm happy to go "D'oh" if it's a blindingly obvious answer - I just wanna know. [-o< :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf

If you use Adobe Acrobat (not the acrobat reader, the full program) you have the facility to add as many pages as you want to a PDF file from another PDF file. I receive a monthly 'news letter' that comes as a dozen PDFs and each month I simply open #1 and then add 2 to 12 and save as a single file

chiba":1dhm36oi said:
Tony - select all the files in Explorer and then right click. You can merge all 12 files with one click in the context menu.

Chiba

Just tried this but have no merge option on the context menu. I am running XP Pro with Sp2

I would certainly like this facility. Any idea why it is not on my PC?

Back