Turning from logs.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cefn.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
Hope this finds you well and enjoying your wood chip manufacturing.
I'm still a novice turner and I'm reading up on wood turning techniques.
I have come across this similar diagrams twice now (See attached photo) and would like to question why they chose to cut it as per their diagram, as apposed to my post-it note option?
I'm sure theres going to be an obvious reason for it, but sorry but I'm not seeing it yet. Please help, I'm befuddled on this one.
All the best,
Cefn.
IMG_5742.JPG

Excellent Dalboy. Never seen one this easy to use before. I have some bits of felled tree from the garden and my brain overheats when I try to work this stuff out.

It will get printed and stuck to workshop wall.

You can cut the bowl blank either way the one from the book just shows the two methods. It does depend on how you want the grain to look on the completed bowl.
Have a look at this PDF file
That's great, thanks Da!boy! Been trying to get my head around it for some time!

The PDF is the work of Todd Hoyer and I found it useful when I first started to turn many years back

This one is a little clearer and has a couple more in it.

Attachments

• Todd Hoyer - Grain Orientation.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The PDF is the work of Todd Hoyer and I found it useful when I first started to turn many years back

This one is a little clearer and has a couple more in it.
As previously said, thanks Dalboy this is an extremely helpful, I'll be printing and laminating for my workshop wall.

Back