Turning chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent but not expensive set of starter chisels.

I'm using the set I got with my lathe at the men's shed and want to buy some for myself.

Budget £100???

Cheers James

When I first started a couple of years ago I bought these:

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-woodturning-tool-set-106153
I’ve added to that quite a bit as I’ve learned more, but the basic set are fine. Just as good edge retention as some much more expensive tools I’ve bought since. I’d say that they are decent value, cover all the bases for a beginner and safe to use (when used as intended!).

If the budget is tight, buy a parting tool and a spindle roughing gouge with handles and the rest without. With those two tools and an odd bit of copper pipe for ferrules you can make handles for the rest. Also makes it easy to pick out the right tool if they all have different handles

If you have a basic set already and can sharpen them then perhaps its time to start getting slightly better quality tools one at a time as you need them. Sets tend to always have a tool or two you never use. A set is a good way to get started and learn to sharpen but after that it is what tool do I need for the project coming up.
Regards
John

Agree with the Axminster, I started with these, and they were good to learn with, easy to sharpen, they retain an edge well and several years on, I still use them amongst my many others.

Back