Turning Cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inaspin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have been offered a load of cedar but can't find out much about it as regards to turning, do any of you have any experience with turning it.

Regards
Berns

Hi Berns Turns very nice. Cedar has a lot of resin so a finish can be a problem. If wet turn as you do with other types of wood and leave to dry. The smell of the wood is lovely. Regards Roger

My only experience is with very dry cedar recovered from a friends woodpile. I had to work round the rotten bits. However, as mentioned, the smell is lovely and I found it very easy to turn and considering that it was early in my turning life, also found it took a finish very easily.

I have recently, 'revisited' some of those early bits and as I am becoming converted to 'shiny' since I got my buffing equipment sorted (I still like a lustre on some things), I find that the cedar polishes up very well indeed and has a glorious colour.

So I suppose I'm saying "go for it" :)

This is the piece I did for the donor to say ta for the wood.

Attachments

• 100_1042.jpg
    100_1042.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 998
I turned some large pieces that had been down a couple of years at least. I didn't have too much on an issue with resin but found that my tools had to be very sharp otherwise the end grain was a nightmare to get a decent finish on.
Also, don't apply too much pressure when sanding as I got some heat checking

Thank you all very much for your replies, they are very encouraging and i have taken on board all your advice, Gus loving that bowl lovely grain and finish, i will be happy to turn something like that out of it.

Regards

Berns

Latest posts

Back