turning blank sealing wax

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Please be gentle with me as this is my first time and being computer illiterate I am struggling somewhat.

What I would like some advice on is the best way to remove the sealing wax from turning blanks.

I have bought two blanks to make into trinket boxes as christmas presents and intend to shape them on the bandsaw then hollow them out.

Tonight I planed the top of one to see what it would look like and the small amount of wax around the edge completely fouled the mouth of the plane, I had to dismantle the plane and clean with solvent to get it off.

Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.

Thank you

Richard

Hi Richard, welcome to the site. Moved your post to the Turning Forum here where I'm sure somebody will be along shortly to help you out.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the Forum.

If I am reading this correctly you intend to cut your blanks into rounds with your bandsaw? Then mount them on the lathe to turn them into boxes?

If this is what you plan, then don't worry about the wax coating at all. With your blank on the lathe you just turn off the wax with a gouge to get to the wood underneath. You will find that it turns off easily and without problem. Out of interest, what wood are you using?

Any further problems, or anything else you think we might be able to help you with on here, just go right ahead and ask.

Cheers,

Trev.

Richard, are the blanks completely coated in wax or just around the edges?

What timber are they?

If they are waxed all over they may not be dried wood and be in a semi 'green' condition which may be a problem getting them dry enough to finish off in the short term.

Hi Guys
Thanks for the responses.
I feel like abit of a wally as what I intend to do is use the bandsaw to cut the circular blanks, one into a kidney shape and one into a heart shape. This of course will remove the waxed edges ( top and bottom not waxed ).
Incidentally one is cherry and one is walnut.
Can't claim any credit for original idea as it came from an article in this months Good Woodworking.

Thanks once again

Richard.

Are you going to turn the inside out on a lathe or has your message been moved into the wrong forum?

If you are going to turn them then as has been said, the wax will turn off no problem. If not then I would of thought a cabinet scraper would remove most of the wax with little problem.

(If you need it all off then try scraping most, wrapping in brown paper then a quick blast in the microwave. The brown paper will act like blotting paper to the wax - A little tip my mum gave me for getting candle wax off a shirt but I suppose it could work here).

If the wood is waxed all over and is not dry then try to get an even wall thickness in top, bottom and sides to minimise the chance of subsequent splitting.

Good luck
Simon.

Back