Turning Birch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making some drawer units which are to stand on turned legs. The units are birch ply. Is birch a suitable material for turning the legs? Been on a few timber merchant websites and it doesn't seem to be listed on any of them. Before I enquire want to check it is suitable, or whether anyone can suggest a better wood that would match ok.

Matt_S":3f12mlfb said:
I'm making some drawer units which are to stand on turned legs. The units are birch ply. Is birch a suitable material for turning the legs? Been on a few timber merchant websites and it doesn't seem to be listed on any of them. Before I enquire want to check it is suitable, or whether anyone can suggest a better wood that would match ok.

Yes it turns fine, not very robust though, might mark easily if used for legs. Not often seen in suitable sizes.

Ash would be a close match on colour and resistant to knocks, more distinctive grain pattern though. It is readily available in suitable sizes.

Beech is also suitable, it is naturally darker than Birch though, it depends on what finish you are using as to whether you can match colours.

Just what I wanted to know :D

I'd thought maybe beech, but I think I'll go for ash. Using Osmo Polyx-Oil
which doesn't darken the birch much at all so I think ash will be best.

Hi matt

As chas has said, ash may be a suitable alternative but the grain may be too distictive compared with the birch.

Sycamore/Maple/Lime may also be suitable...

Hello Matt.
Can't really help with this never turned any Birch.
Thought about using a darker hardwood though to show the drawers off more :wink:

Paul.J.

i also agree with chas
i have made four sets of bed side cabinets from birch ply with small beech legs and they all just looked fine.
if you cannot find a match try and and find a subtle contrast with a clear or antiuqe finnish will do just fine

I've turned quite a bit of birch, should be fine if you can find it.

If you can get unsteamed white beech it will be quite close in colour rather than the pinker steamed beech which is whats usually sold.

Maple or sycamore would also be quite a close match.

Jason

Back