Turning basics DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
My playing on the lathe this morning has pressed home to me that I am still largely in the dark with some basic techniques (especially with bowl gouge or skew). I have the Rowley book, but still don't feel confident I'm using appropriate holds or techniques.
I think watching a DVD of turning techniques could be very beneficial.
As its my birthday in a couple of weeks, it's something somebody could get for me.
Recommendations, please.

Si

I think Mastering Woodturning: Tools and Techniques, by Glenn Lucas is excellent. He demonstrates the sharpening and use of the main turning tools without worrying about producing a finished article. It's a lot more engrossing than it might sound, due to Lucas's communication skills. It's very professionally produced, in contrast to some of the stuff on the market.
Don 't confuse it with his bowl turning DVD which is less successful, in my opinion.

Ian

Have you tried looking on You Tube? There is all sorts of woodturning videos on there, some good, some bad and some very ugly :lol:
If you look up HaydenHD he doesn't teach you so much as you get a good birdseye view of his turning, which shows the techniques put into practise

I had had a quick look, but wasnt sure whose techniques were good or bad, and didn't want to try learning bad practice from the off.
Will take a look at haydenhd

Si

knappers":2nnn2dn0 said:
My playing on the lathe this morning has pressed home to me that I am still largely in the dark with some basic techniques (especially with bowl gouge or skew). I have the Rowley book, but still don't feel confident I'm using appropriate holds or techniques.
I think watching a DVD of turning techniques could be very beneficial.
As its my birthday in a couple of weeks, it's something somebody could get for me.
Recommendations, please.

Si
Hi Si
I've got 'Woodturning Techniques' by Gary Rance http://www.garyrance.co.uk/ which shows all the basic cuts, how to sharpen without jigs and a few projects. Gary is a production turner as well as doing demos and is the quickest turner I've seen. I've got no connection with him other than having good advice when I've met him at the club or at demos.

Regards Keith

Haldane":1awk3mnz said:
My vote is for Jimmy Clewes Turnaround DVD informative well produced and covers most of the bases

Dave

Jimmy also does a very good disc called back to basics which is another well made DVD aimed at the very beginning. It also shows using grinding jigs. Some of the poorly produced or filmed DVD really are not helpful. Some of what appears on you tube is distinctly scary!. You need one where you can really see what is happening both in stance and in tool control.

+1 for Jimmy Clewes, I've got three of his including back to basics and particularly like the "turn it on" series which has some good projects once you've got the basics under your belt. I still think the best way to learn though is via a course where you get some hands on tuition. I've had two courses with Dave Bates (Stiles and Bates) in Kent which I found moved my turning on in a way that dvd's just couldnt match. People learn in different ways so good luck with whatever you choose.

Steve

Back