Turning American Walnut into Cash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I would welcome some ideas for a project that would cover its own cost.

I have 10 PAR American Walnut boards 5 1/2" wide, just over 7/8" thick, about 8' long. They are not of the best quality having a great deal of sapwood to at least one of the faces. They cost me about £300 as far as I can work out and I would rather have the money for tools. They have been living in the spare room for a good six months and are nicely settled but have outlived their welcome and I want rid. So I want ideas for a quick project thay won't require much re-thicknessing that might sell for about £300. I had the idea that two bedside tables at £150 might be more marketable than one project for £300. A lot of my ideas are stumped because I don't have anything thick enough for legs so maybe something De la Espade-ish might be the answer.

So any ideas however off the wall gratefully received.

Thanks

Roy

What about a couple of coffe tables, I made this one out of some left over oak a few years back. Keep the sapwood to the bottom face of the top& shelf, inside edge of sides. Top is 500x500, can't take credit for the design, its a smaller version of one by Kevin Ley. Sorry it needs a bit of a dust.

PICT0026.jpg

Pricy walnut about £100/cu.ft

Jason

Roy,

Van Dyke crystals make a good job of matching sapwood to darker wood if need be. Depending on the style of leg you might choose, why not glue up the wood to make what ever size you need? If it were (for example) a square section leg. then four mitred pieces would work fine.

Jason and Chris

Thanks for your replies.

Jason: Really like that table (and the stuff on top)
Pricy walnut about £100/cu.ft
which is why I don't just sell it on.

Chris: Useful finishing advice from the guru once again. I had considered jointing sections for the legs but I'm not sure that a butted edge would look so good. To do as you suggest and join four mitred section pieces would look fine but is rather more work to get right than i was planning.

Regards

Roy

jason i love your rustic shelves at the side of that nice table ,do you happen to have the plans . :D :wink: :wink:

Chap I work with was telling me of an item he bought made out of solid walnut. Not a large item, you could probably get several out of your boards when jointed together to the correct width.
He paid £300 pounds for it (so he says).

Not sure if I can tell you this here, may cause a certain amount of consternation.

Okay, well, it was a toilet seat. :shock:

Back