Turning a TS55 into a tabletop panel saw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatcho

Established Member
Reaction score
...I have been reading the festool owners group forum and when it comes to using a TS55 as a 'tablesaw replacement' (i.e. having the ability to make repeat cuts relatively quickly and easily) the only responses seem to be;

1. Buy an MFT table
2. Buy or fashion your own version of the festool parallel guides (the ones that clamp onto the guide rail)

I'm not really keen on any of the above but had the following idea and wanted to see if it is possible or if I'm being stupid.

Untitled-1.jpg

Does that make sense? The parallel guide would have to be in mounted to the table top somehow (probably hinged to the edge somehow) and fixed permanently (and squarely). The fence could then be moved accoring to the size, fixed in place and used for repeat cuts.

What do you think?

Yes I think that would work, you'd need to ensure that the hinge was able to account for changing widths of the workpiece.

I don't think its really a winner though. If your really interested in doing something with your TS55 like this I would look at inverting the TS55. I would look at either investing in the table saw attachment plate for the TS55 which is £288, but you know it would be safe and fit the TS55, and it has an accurate fence. Then fit this to your own table top. Or alternatively have a good look at what that attachment actually does, figure out your own clamping system to hold the saw under the table and buy the riving knife and blade guard as a spare from Festool whilst devising your own fence.

I have seen that attachment but always assumed that it was only for use with the system (which felt a bit flimsy to me). Are you saying that you can fit that top in your own table top? That would work out a lot cheaper and give me the option to have a nice big top.

tatcho":2am7q419 said:
I have seen that attachment but always assumed that it was only for use with the system (which felt a bit flimsy to me). Are you saying that you can fit that top in your own table top? That would work out a lot cheaper and give me the option to have a nice big top.

Yes I think I've seen it on the FOG before that someones cut one into there MFT table top rather than buy the module. Have a close look at what the module is, the plate just drops into it.

561261_xl.jpg

Some of the Festool things are a bit overpriced for what they are. The MFT is a nice bit of kit, but I just bought the clamps and drilled out my own piece of MDF. It makes a nice worksurface on the rare occasion I do something on site and is great in the workshop. Have a look here you can see someone on our forum making there own MFT:

diy-mft-top-t48363.html

budget-mft-build-t45022.html

Module at Axminster

HTH!

You could always buy a replacement MFT top and use e.g. rail dogs - does away with that tricky 'hinged but fixed permanently yet adjustable for depth and absolutely square' guide rail problem...

A spare fence or just a length of t-track fixed along the top edge with a couple of flag stops, a stick-on tape and away you go.

Or you could just buy an MFT ;)

Pete

Back