Turning a fountain pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've turned the standard ball pens on the lathe before, but it was my birthday last week and the wife has brought me a couple of the elite collection fountain pens from Turners retreat as a present (odd how she uses a fountain pen and I'm only permitted a green crayon) no before I commit wood butchery does anyone have any hints, tips or more importantly some instructions in the making of these fine pens.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,
The Elite range pens are not cheap and you want to get them right.
Do remember though that a mistake is usually only going to mean a wasted blank not the a wasted pen so be confident.

Double check the drill sizes and that you're about to drill each blank with the correct bit.
I assume you turn with the mandrel so try adjusting the mandrel, by shortening it, and turn each part separately to minimise risk of out of round.
Double check the bushes against nib and cap ends of the pen. Your kit might have 3 different sizes of bushing.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodt ... ns_pen.pdf
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen%20 ... -Model.pdf
these instructions may help.
Finally, lay all the parts out before assembly as it helps you visualise the completed pen. Enjoy making your first FP or RB
regards, beejay

Good luck with it!
Yet to get my first elite kit so can't help, I'm afraid.
The links from Beejay should certainly help you out.

HI Simon

I have a few instruction sheets from TR if you will let me have the code of off the packaging I will check and copy them for you if I have them.

john

Why on earth does TR not include instructions! Isn't this an obvious thing to do? I find it extremely frustrating.

Has Beejay says not cheap, get yourself a good blank, take your time over each step, lock the door, turn off the phone, no radio :roll: :roll:
Best of luck, don't forget the pics, I think you have to ask for the instructions with your order, they must think you have made one before!!

simon, a little more info no the type of pens you got would help. ie the names of the kits. there is not much difference from the elite kits to slimline kits. you will have 4 bushings of differing sizes, presuming that she bought them too with the kits. just make sure you place the correct ones in the correct order on the mandrel. if you havnt got the assembly instructions just shout. before you glue in the brass tubes make sure you sand them with 120 grit paper and slice a potato off 1/4 inch and stick both ends of the tube into it so the glue does not go into the tube. glue them with thick ca and leave for an hour. once you have done that make sure you square the ends off to the tubes. then turn at will. if you have any more questions just shout again.

Get called out of the country for a day and everyone replies, many thanks for the info. I've been given the Statesman pen (SMFP) and Renaissance pen (RFP) along with some snakewood blanks, so no pressure. I may have a look at them tommrow as i am meant to have a day off work if the world can carry on without me.

Cheers

Simon

simon, you have got two great kits there. but i am afraid to say dont use the snakewood blank will crack along the lengh. i suggest you drill each blank 5mm every week then leave it to settle for 6 months to avoid it cracking. the one below took me 7 months and its still ok.
08062008028-1.jpg

HI Simon

Sorry they are about the only 2 I havent got.

If you give TR a ring they will post them to you the same day.

john

Cheers for that Greggy, I have some other blanks floating around to see if there is anything else fitting to these pens,

Simon

wizer":2r9q6dmp said:
Why on earth does TR not include instructions! Isn't this an obvious thing to do? I find it extremely frustrating.

WIzer, I totally agree. It wouldn't take long for the suppliers to put these instructions on line if they want to avoid paper and postage / packing effort

The other thing that frustrated me a while back was phoning Craft supplies re one of their pens (may have been a pen and pencil set) as I didnt have the correct bushes, only to be told they didnt sell them for that type of pen, and I needed to turn between centres. I did, but why not stock bushes???? The pen was only slightly different from other basic ones.

Dave

wizer/dave, turners retreat do have instructions for all their penkits. but you must ask for them at time of ordering. same with bushings.

greggy":2veao846 said:
wizer/dave, turners retreat do have instructions for all their penkits. but you must ask for them at time of ordering. same with bushings.

It does not say that anywhere on their website or in their brochure IIRC.

I guess in most cases it's not serious, but when you're turning a pen for your wife to be on the day before your wedding, it's someone irritating to find no instructions!!

Back