Turner's Retreat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonsdale73

Established Member
Reaction score
Remember when you were a kid and being dragged round the shops with mum would bcome a lot more appealing in the run up to Christmas, when all the stores would have big fancy displays of all that season's toys? Our Woolworths, i particular, used to set up this car racing track, Matchbox or Hotwheels or some such, one where the cars were launched out of a spring-loaded 'tunnel' and they'd race arced banks, perform loop-the-loops before being launched on their way again. I'd have the young woman on that counter do it again and again, mum had a real battle to get me away from there, usually only successful if an imminent return was promised. I had the chance to relive that that kind of experience earlier today when I made my maiden pilgrimage to Turner's Retreat.

Sometimes a visit to the physical store of an entity one's only previous experience of has been online can be something of a disappointment but that wasn't the case today. I don't think there's a single item in either the Sorby or Chestnut product range that couldn't be found in the first aisle alone; I was mentally remortgaging the house before even turning up the second aisle and I was well and truly busted after wandering in to the timber room.

It's not exactly on my doorstep but it's a little too close for the comfort of my bank balance!

I think I may just have found somewhere to drag the girlfriend round on the bank holiday.
If she's the outdoor type, about fifteen minutes away there's a place called Sprotbrough, nice riverside walk and a nature reserve in one direction, mostly tarmac so easy walking, while there's another walk - which I had neither time nor energy to manage today - which takes in the lock gates and meanders through fields. If you read anything that says "parking available at the Boat Inn on the understanding visitors avail themselves of the pub's services" then don't get excited at the prospect of a nice lunch and pint or three because the pub is well and truly SHUT! And from the amount of scaffolding around it I can't imagine it being re-opened in time for the weekend so be sure to take a packed lunch and drink with you. Also, the area is known for its 'falls', apparently a man made feature where the river drops . From the Boat in, if anyone points up or downstream, ignore them. it is literally behind you! And not that special either.

Attachments

• 14154_2020_26-08-20.JPG
    14154_2020_26-08-20.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 8
It’s certainly an Aladdin’s cave for turners 😃

If you enjoyed your shop visit I’d suggest you watch out for their one of their twice yearly open days (when this covid mare is over) a very enjoyable day with previously 10% off.

Back