Turners retreat, Harworth any recomendations ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirso

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right place for this post. If not please delete.
Just to get peoples opinion or see if similar had happened to them.
I have just been to Turners Retreat as I needed a chuck for my first lathe. I had looked on the web site and decided on a cheaper chuck £99 and an additional plate to go with it.
When I went to the counter I explained to the young lady that I was a newbie to lathe work and that I wanted a chuck for a Draper lathe with 3/4 x 16 tpi thread or insert.
I was then told that the only ones in stock that would fit were the Patriot chucks at £ 180. When I questioned this and said what about the cheaper ones on your website. I was told they are only for 1" thread.
I persisted and told her that there should be an adaptor with them for a 3/4 and showed her that it said as such on the viper box. She went to check with someone else and then came back saying yes they will fit.
Now the reason I am posting this is, I felt like I was being pushed to buying a dearer chuck when the other option was available. Being an absolute newbie I look for guidance and advice from the people who I think can help.
I hope it was a genuine mistake, but first impressions last and it did not come across as a good first visit.
I am posting to see if anyone else has had a similar time or better still, If people can tell me they have had great service from this establishment and would recommend me trying it again.
Thanks

I doubt it was a case of upselling, I’ve never experienced that at Turner's Retreat. More likely a distinct lack of product knowledge.
I must confess I usually go to Snainton but TT is on your doorstep and they have everything you will need. I'm sure your experience will become more favourable.

I've visited once, a couple of years ago, I seem to remember a young lady at the till and she did seem to me to be 'just' a checkout girl, i.e. there to accept payment only. I'm sure there were some more knowledgeable types about as well, perhaps that was a lucky coincidence.
As yorkshirepudding says, I think it was probably just a lack of product knowledge. Luckily you knew enough to fill in the gap.

At the risk of being labelled sexist, I always avoid asking females technical questions.

no reflection on their abilities or intelligence, but after over 50 years of purchasing technical stuff in many trades, most females, in most situations, are just not "technical"

to be fair, I've also met a few males who share that disability.

This sort of service is all too common, I have had similar at Yandles. The best way to deal with it is to do your research beforehand and know exactly what you want. Luckily you did just this.

This forum is a good place to get advice in advance, there are some very knowledgeable people on here.

Bill

I also have bad experiences of yandles, but still go there as I wont cut my nose off to spite my face.

sunnybob":2t5ra8i8 said:
At the risk of being labelled sexist, I always avoid asking females technical questions.

no reflection on their abilities or intelligence, but after over 50 years of purchasing technical stuff in many trades, most females, in most situations, are just not "technical"

to be fair, I've also met a few males who share that disability.

It's not a gender issue, more a reflection of our dumbed-down society. Different area entirely but in my youth, a pilgrimage to Jessop's of Leicester (Hinckley Road branch) was always an incredible experience, it was like a cavern storing treasure's galore and staffed by knowledgeable people who could instruct in their correct use. Returning after a few years absence, the cavern had become this plastic bauble, populated by spotty youths who at best knew pipper all about the product or even the subject and at worse gave false information, whether that latter part was purely because they didn't know it was wrong or lying to make a sale I cannot tell. When they went belly-up, one of their branches posted a sign thanking amazon for their 'stock them high, sell 'em cheap" putting Jessop's out of business. lightly ironic that given that Jessop's had grown on precisely that principle, crushing a number of smaller, independent businesses in the process.

I spent many years pre gps trying to find my way around strange towns and villages. First port of call for directions would be a tyre repair shop, next would be a petrol station. If i saw a female at the counter in either, i just moved on. Not prejudice, experience.

The best I ever experienced was a Porsche agent called Parks in Exeter many moons ago I used to visit with my mother's car for servicing. I rung one day to book a service and the woman behind the reception gave me a time and asked if there was any other problem with the car. Yes, I said the wipers are sticking on. Oh, we can sort that, but in the meantime if you look at the left side of the passenger foot well you'll see a cover. If you undo this you'll see the fuse box - pull the fifth fuse from the left, and it'll stop them. If it rains on the way up, you'll need to put it back. See you Saturday. :D She was a Porsche rally driver, apparently - she was brilliant. Then they were taken over by bean counters.

[quote="phil. Then they were taken over by bean counters.

Responsible for the demise of many good businesses.

sunnybob":fxjtsxc2 said:

Yep, I'm calling it, you're sexist. I've worked with female welders and engineers, no problems. What's more they could do directions and read maps

Paddy Roxburgh":1hh3khaj said:
sunnybob":1hh3khaj said:

Yep, I'm calling it, you're sexist. I've worked with female welders and engineers, no problems. What's more they could do directions and read maps

In this big wide world your very lucky to have known both of them. :wink:

Mike

Back