Turners block!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
I now know how writers etc feel when they get (insert occupation/ hobby) block. :(
its a bank holiday, nowt to do and fancy turning something, but been standing in the shed for half an hour staring at my selection of blanks and .......

nothing!

no inspiration

no requests or orders for anything

cant think of anything for the challenge

my mind is a blank :evil:

think I'll go walk the dog
01dog_bgca3.gif

I challenge you to make a honey dipper :lol: Or do you want something more challenging :shock:

I call your rolling pin and raise you a Indian wall hanging

Indian_Wooden_Wall_Hanging.jpg

:lol:

Attachments

• Indian_Wooden_Wall_Hanging.jpg
    Indian_Wooden_Wall_Hanging.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 957
]Hi

Bowl turners - pah! :wink:

Regards Mick :lol:

Attachments

• Norwegian Wheel 1 (4).jpg
    Norwegian Wheel 1 (4).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 902
Turners block is something that I find very real and frightening!

Despite the ideas for inspiration it is very difficult to get back into that wonderful feeling of euphoria for the cutting of shavings. It is about a month now since I actually had inspiration to make anything apart from doing some more tool tests for "Woodturning" mag.

I wish there was an easy method of getting back into the swing?

I will do something because I have another gallery to supply at the end of June and there are insufficient pieces to offer.

Anyone who gets into the rut has my deepest sympathies.

Regards Peter.

after stating my frustrations, er indoors instructed me to make some mini dibbers for the neighbours , not exactly challenging but something to do after walking the dog and counting the sheep. Had a moment of inspiration about this months challenge, and now just have to work out if its possible and if it is, if i can do it. :)

Spindle":5jgequzv said:
]Hi

Bowl turners - pah! :wink:

Regards Mick :lol:

Aarrgghhh I'm a purist, I can see at least two items on their that haven't been turned :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Don't listen to me, I'm just jealous, talk about not knowing were to start. Very nice =D> even if it isn't a bowl! :lol:

Do you use it for spinning?

I usually just bung any old bit of wood on the lathe and start turning. See what comes out the other end. Doesn't always work but often does. Also I have a load of books on things like pottery and ceramics which are a good source of inspiration.

Pete

Hi Nev

Before becoming a professional turner I dabbled in all types of turning, I made all the usual stuff from bowls, goblets boxes (had quite a big boxes phase, including a lot of screw threads) trouble was, igot to the point were I couldn't think what else to make obviously I hadn't made everything but it kind of felt like it!!

All of my work is commission based these days so I get that problem solved for me, I get to do my favourite thing - turning - but I don't have to keep coming up with new or original ideas, my customers do that, I just make the stuff, which is constantly challenging and it never fails to amaze me the ways that my customers challenge me!!

Probably not much help to you but that is just my angle on the situation.

Cheers

Richard

nev":29ef34ok said:
I now know how writers etc feel when they get (insert occupation/ hobby) block. :(
its a bank holiday, nowt to do and fancy turning something, but been standing in the shed for half an hour staring at my selection of blanks and .......

nothing!

no inspiration

no requests or orders for anything

cant think of anything for the challenge

my mind is a blank
:evil:

think I'll go walk the dog
01dog_bgca3.gif

If you can find a way of chucking that it should be about enough to turn it into a thimble, BUT don't get any catches or it could be the proverbial 'mind blowing' time :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Failing that you could make an emergency sewing kit, comme sa

Sewingkit3.jpg

Graigmerched":37vmk2rb said:
Alli":37vmk2rb said:
I call your rolling pin and raise you a Indian wall hanging

:lol:

Wow, that indian wall hanging is beautiful. =D>

Best Regards

Steve

Errmmm, thanks Steve, But it was a picture nicked off the internet. :oops: It is on my one day have a go list, but I think I need to wait 20 years for my skill level to be good enough to allow me to do it. :lol:

nev":ovohd7su said:
....nowt to do and fancy turning something, but been standing in the shed for half an hour staring at my selection of blanks and .......
no inspiration
Then stop thinking about What and start thinking about How.

A flat platter, less than 10mm thick with no holding method visible in the finished item.
A perfect cone, say with a 50-75mm base, once again with no visible holding method showing in finished item.
A set of six stacking blocks suitable for a childs toy with all tenons and sockets interchangeable.

That's how I developed my Swirl bits and pieces, working out how to do it improved my control and approach methods no end.

Try using the What, Why, Where, When, How, and Who to give you an inspiration, something that stuck with me from an early age of a childrens encyclopaedia . It takes you away from the block and gives you a route to follow in solving the problem.

:) Every cloud and all that!
decided to have a sharpening and fettling session and I've fixed my big skew! it was sharp enough before but when used on its edge i always got a 'catch and jump'. thought i'd try a longer bevel and spent half an hour on the grinder ( gone from approx 3mm to 7mm ) and i think it has helped a lot. planing cuts have also become a bit smoother.
also fettled my bowl gouge and can now get a streamer from dry oak with the lightest of touches :D
So I've made some shavings today even if its only attacking a piece b/c to test the tools.

Thanks for the (mostly) helpful hints guys. John - none taken, although i think my mind was the largest blank in the shed! and btw isn't all sewing only done in an emergency, definitely the only time I've ever done any :)

Latest posts

Back