Turned this today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Found this piece of wood today when rummaging around in my wood store

No Idea what it is , but it was almost like trying to turn a piece of cork , really soft and crumbly to turn ,

When I mounted on the face plate the screws did not tighten up so I decided to use 8 instead of my normal 4

Decided to leave it square and just make it an ornament , its full of woodworm holes so just to make sure no visitors are still in residence it went in the microwave 3 times for 1 min per time on defrost , came out quite hot

I have not put any finish on it yet , cant decide what to do , as I want a mat finish without loosing the natural colour of the wood

It wont be to everyone's taste but here it is

Attachments

• IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 1,153
  • IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_1716.JPG
    IMG_1716.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_1718.JPG
    IMG_1718.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • IMG_1719.JPG
    IMG_1719.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,152
Now I want some salty chestnuts :)

Looks good Blister, nice and chunky.

I can never remember which is the softer, Norway Maple or Field Maple, but whichever it is gets my vote for the specie. I have got a whole pile of exactly the same wood, the patterning appears identical, the spalting subtle variations in colour and the lines very fine as well. Very soft but with careful use of the paper and small steps in the grit it finishes to a marble, or at least mine did!

Blister":2c5y8rfj said:
It wont be to everyone's taste but here it is

Blister":2c5y8rfj said:
Always complementary comments Don't know why you bother !

Ah but thats the danger of putting stuff up for 'critique' (although you didn't actually ask for it I think). This looks to me like a rough turning to be put away until you can think of something to do with it. I usually try and avoid negative comments but I agree about the 'doorstop', it seems heavy and inelegant.

Not to my taste then. Then again, half of my stuff gets no comment at all so what does that prove?

Can't please 'em all Allen.

i cant understand why you bothered showing it, surely you didn't expect praise for it...

I did not ask for critique ? , as per the title just said " turned this today " and I don't recall asking for praise either ??

Unlike some other people on this forum I did take the time to do some photos and post them to give others something to look at as very little is posted on the turning side of the forum

Perhaps I should do what some other do , don't show anything they have turned , Just make comments instead

Its what I wanted and its what I ended up with

I don't live in a house with small doors , This is only 7" x 2 1/2" and is very light

Mind you don't trip over yours when entering and leaving rooms

Im sure it will be fabulous when its finished Allen

:lol:

Back