Turned Lamp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have just uploaded a picture to the woodturning gallery of a spalted oak and ebonised lamp. Ebony finish is fluted. The design was in one of the mags a month or so ago. Was quite fun to build.

Aidan.

Aidan,

I don't do turning, not yet, at least, but how did you achieve the flutes on the ebony? A fine piece of work, by the way.

Rgds

Noel

Noel,

cheated...........

Turned it round and then glued 21 dowels round the outside :D :D

Where in Northern Ireland are ya by the way?

Aidan

Hi Aidan,

Limavady. You glued dowels...I assumed you used a router......makes sense rather than involved in working out angles etc.
You far away, always fancied a go on a lathe.....?

Rgds

Noel

Noel,

I'm in Tandragee which might be a bit far i spose. Feel free to come have a go if ya wish. Its not a particularly good lathe Perform CCL but seems to be ok for learnin on.

The dowels were easier than a router i'm sure.

I followed the instructions in a magazine article to turn the post to exactly 34mm (think) and then 21 dowels 6mm thick fit round the outside. Bit of masking tape as a clamp and voila.

Aidan.

Thanks for the invite Aidan. Do a bit of business in Banbridge and Crossgar so will let you know next time I'm down in Down, (no, that wasn't a typo....).

Rgds

Noel

And pop over to Co Armagh.....

Rgds

Noel

Hi Noel,

Feel free to drop in to me humble single car garage any time ya like. Not sure what you will learn from a butcher like me but ya welcome to have a go.

Aidan.

Back