Turned Fish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
Help!
Been asked to turn a light pull to go with the 'fish' theme in a bathroom :?
apart from std fish shape like below, any suggestions as to a shape that does not include carving etc?
I've got a lathe and a bandsaw and not much 'artistic' talent i.e no painting etc
please post pics :)

fish-light-pull-1552-p.jpg

nope! not a fishy windup. honest!
Did a quick rough test and came up with ..

fish1.jpg

:oops: I was just hoping one of the more creative types will come along and say simples! do this, eccentric that, trim this and voila! nemo!

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,143
Nev,

I think your rough test is quite OK, remember, it is after all still only a light pull.

Perhaps a little longer, slightly more shape in the tail. pyrographed eyes, mouth and gills.

If you don't have a pyro pen use a soldering iron, (almost as good with a little practice, use a small bit) :lol: :lol:

John. B

nev":9rxmxr37 said:
nope! not a fishy windup. honest!
Did a quick rough test and came up with ..

:oops: I was just hoping one of the more creative types will come along and say simples! do this, eccentric that, trim this and voila! nemo!

You are not doing to bad but giving the fish a pair of eyes helps as well as maybe a few lines on the fish tail and some curves or something to show scales, you can draw them by pen or marker or even burn them in with a bit of heat. You do not have to go over the top with the detail but you would be suprised by how little detail you have to do to make it look more like a fish. So you do not have to be an artist to get some of the results you want. I know i have not told you much you may not already know but if any of the info helps. Thanks tim

Hi Nev,
You could try turning between centres on three centres - the true centre and offset each side by the same amount to give the two flattened sides. It depends how complicated you want to make it!

Or you could just turn some round BALLS (back to them again) and tell whoever wants the fish that they havent hatched out yet

boysie39":3fps0st9 said:
Or you could just turn some round BALLS (back to them again) and tell whoever wants the fish that they havent hatched out yet

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jonzjob":3oa0a32y said:
I'm not at all sure that you are allowed to blindfold fish mate? :?

Yes you are , but only the ones Nev makes . :lol:
Nev ,cant help you , off center work to me is if it moves in the chuck and I dont see it in time :oops:

Back