Turned and carved sycamore bowl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have not had much time to turn many new pieces but I thought I should share this item with you all and after reading the article in WT mag I felt i would have a go and submit the bowl in our clubs competition last month.
This is my first shot in this direction and I am pleased to say it came second in the competition, the first place being an almost identical copy of the article bowl.
So this is my attempt to reproduce an item from Richard Kennedy's talented gallery.
I incorporated two trees to frame a nice piece of grain between them. It took quite a long time to do but I felt it was very worthwhile.
Your comments and critique are welcomed.

Pics004.jpg

Pics003.jpg

Pics002.jpg

Pics001.jpg

Pics005.jpg

Regards Ian

Very good effort there Ian, the turning being the easy bit, the tenacity to stick with it through the piercing of the design shows a deal of patience.

Hello Ian, nice to see you posting again mate 8) Good job on the tree bowl, watch out Richard Kennedy! Hope all is well up North with you and yours.

Hi Chas, Steve and Johnny,
Yes Chas patience is a virtue when you stand and sand the trees and every time you look in a different direction you see another bit that needs attention. I do agree that the turning is the relatively easy part.
Steve you're right about the soup especially if you only have a fork to eat it with!!
Yes Johnny we are all ok up here. I have been checking out the forum but not posting as I am very busy with my engineering business which seems to be picking up well and I some how need to get some more time on the woodturning to have some more items to sell at Christmas craft fairs etc.
Thank you all for your replies,
Regards,
Ian

Back