Turned acrylic jewellery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Doing an acrylic pen for a birthday present, I had a brilliant idea to go with it, a matching pendant. :roll:
Bought a 'holder' for the finished pendanty thing, now all I need do is turn it. :lol:

The diameter of the holder thingy is 1.6mm, 6mm balls either end.
Im considering drilling a 3mm hole in the blank, and mounting it on an M3 machine screw, held in a chuck.....perhaps with a centre supporting the head. Hoping the balls either end will self centre the finished part.

Any other bright ideas?

Turned part only needs be about 20mm long.

that slipped down the list rather swiftly!
if the pendant kit is like this
10-pendant-kits-silver-plated-woodturning-k1--503-p.jpg

then I'd go for a 3mm hole and an Ian wilkie type light pull friction drive like this... :)
DSC_0147.JPG

Thats the sort of thing Nev, but the one I got was slightly shorter.

How do they work then, just drill a nice close hole, and put a little pressure on it with a live centre?

Hitch":19aa6npj said:
Thats the sort of thing Nev, but the one I got was slightly shorter.

How do they work then, just drill a nice close hole, and put a little pressure on it with a live centre?
yep thats it, and the drives have the added advantage of various size steps for various sized holes - i use mine to do the wheels on my little toy car.

Thanks for the help Nev 8)

Been out in the garage playing tonight, decided upon nice simple pear drop shape.
Turned out well....I think, certainly made a very easy job of it.
I had visions of it wobbling about all over the place on a machine screw #-o

Once removed from the mandrel, I countersunk the through hole very slightly to allow the balls to centre it. Seemed to work a treat.

Heres the finished pen and matching pendant.
Hopefully will be well received :)

Attachments

• pendant.jpg
    pendant.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 764
looking good!
i find one of the biggest steps(?) when on the learning curve is working out how to hold different size /shape things on the lathe, and its so much easier when youve got the right tool for the job. :)

btw, what pen kit and blank is that? lovely colour.

I was going to ask the same question about what blank you used. Stunning colours.
Lovely shapes to the pen and pendant. It's worked out well.

Thanks, glad its passed QC :lol:

The pen, is an Axminster kit, http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-st ... rod649854/
I also bought a blank from Axminster, but I have to confess, I messed it up. Broke a bit off the end during drilling. :oops: Ended up as a keyring.

So the actual blank that pen and pendant were from was part of a 6pk from ebay, but Axminster sell the same pack, Tropical Storm.

Back