Turbot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silas Gull

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here eat turbot on a regular basis?

I've not had it before and I'd like to taste it.

Is it any good? Where can it be bought? What does it cost?
Should I batter it? Will it bite me if I do?

Yes I eat it maybe 6 times a year The rolls royce of flatfish very expensive possibly the finest eating fish in our waters
we would mostly pan fry it as we like it that way

I only eat it because my other hobby is sea fishing and manage to catch a few each year
the cost will hurt the wallet though

John

What John said. I dont fish, but I would like to, so dont get to eat turbot that often.
Having said that, there are fish I prefer to eat, but arent as glamorous (hake, gurnard, non-farmed sea bass). Cant help you with cost - why dont you nip into a local fishmongers and ask them? Our Morrissons' fish counter will order fish for you, so if you have one they might be a good place to start.
Like all good fish, the less complicated the cooking, the better. I wouldnt batter it, and if I recall correctly, steaming/simmering in a bouillion is a preferred way to cook it. Google for turbot recipes by Rick Stein - always my goto chef for seafood recipes.

Good luck,
Adam

I have had it once- I think it actually came from morrisons. I can't think where else it would have came from. I suspect it was in the reduced section and I selected it because I hadn't tried it before. I can't remember how I cooked it, but Rick would have been consulted!

Fish like turbot requires simple grilling. Add nothing. Don't muck about with it as most 'famous' chefs would have you do.

For an island nation, getting hold of decent fresh, tasty fish is abysmally poor. Our local Waitrose offers tasteless fish. The local Morrison's fish counter smells of stale fish. Oh to live by a fishing port.

Roger come down to Devon, Brixham is next door to me.

If you are interested in some fish dishes, visit your local Sainsbury large super market, look in the frozen compartment, they are doing a fish called some sort of sole from the Pacific but with a quite good sauce, and the cod one they do is excellent.

Yes, I agree with you on our inland fish counters. Acres of farmed salmon and something that spawned in the mud beneath a stilt-hut on a Bangladeshi river. There is nothing appetizing about it.
All this cobblers on the telly about the bounty of our shores and Whittingstall with his 'spanking-fresh' mackerel is just an illusion.
There might be a couple of places left in the UK where you can buy fish on the quayside and stop at a proper old fashioned bakers for hot bread and an eccles cake, but houses start at 500k for a terrace etc etc.

£12 to £15 per Kilo around by us.

Lovely fish, I like it simply grilled and a nice lump of lemon butter melted on top and a few slices of heavily buttered fresh crusty bread.

Vic

Pity non of you live close to me I usually have more than we can eat
Cod Polack Plaice a few Turbot and Brill Mackerel by the hundredweight Gurnard are realy good to eat if you get the chance
I brought 1 polack home last week it fed me my wife my daughters family (4) my sons family another (4) and put a couple of portions in the freezer

J

Vic Perrin":2iyq195a said:

Lovely fish, I like it simply grilled and a nice lump of lemon butter melted on top and a few slices of heavily buttered fresh crusty bread.

Vic
Blimey, Vic. You don't get much further from the sea than Rugely. I reckon £12 a kilo is a great price to pay in a land-locked county. My research has thrown up prices as high as £30 - in Cornwall.

johnf":2duis05l said:
Pity non of you live close to me I usually have more than we can eat
Cod Polack Plaice a few Turbot and Brill Mackerel by the hundredweight Gurnard are realy good to eat if you get the chance
I brought 1 polack home last week it fed me my wife my daughters family (4) my sons family another (4) and put a couple of portions in the freezer

J
Ahh, Pollock. A much maligned and misunderstood denizen of Davy Jones' locker. I ate one once that had been fished from a Norwegian Fiord and frozen immediately. Very sweet and tasty.

Silas Gull":2z06clgg said:
Vic Perrin":2z06clgg said:

Vic
Blimey, Vic. You don't get much further from the sea than Rugely. I reckon £12 a kilo is a great price to pay in a land-locked county. My research has thrown up prices as high as £30 - in Cornwall.

Hi Silas, I might be wrong now about the price the boss said it was on special offer when we got some last month

http://your.morrisons.com/Market-Street ... sh-Turbot/

Cheers

Vic

My nearest Morrison's is about 15 miles away. Might give them a call and see what the SP is on turbot. My decision to buy will be wholly based on the smell and firmness of the beast. If not, then I guess I'll be chartering a boat. Knowing my luck I'll end up being dragged into the depths by a giant turbot and drowned. Probably serve me right. Like the chap in Moby Dick.

I had turbot at a pub in Padstow (not Rick Stein's!) and it was delicious, just pan fried.

We have Simon the fish man call every Monday. He goes to Brixham early in the morning and has beautiful fresh fish at reasonable prices. Have tried lots of types of fish since we came to Devon (gurnard, brill, dabs, sprats, rollmops) and now eat more fish than meat. Have also had a lot of hake from the local Sainsbury's which has been lovely. Add some new potatoes, peas and sweetcorn and a meal fit for a king.

Regards Keith

Back