turbo charger wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kityuser

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone got (or know of) a good condition turbo charger.
car, marine, petrol diesel, I`m not fussed as long as the bearings are sound.

if not I`m off to the scrap yard.........

I`ll pay postage and whatever reasonable price, size is`nt really a concern either.

cheers

steve

One of our lecturers (turbomachinery lecturer) has built a self-sustaining ram-jet from a car turbocharger.

He runs it up with calor gas unitl the exhaust manifolod reaches about 1050 degrees C and then turns the fuel off. The thing just keeps on running without any fuel :shock: :shock:

Problem was the 10ft flame out of the back in the lab - health and safety had a bit to say about that. Ohh, and the noise too!!!!

Tony":137xyr07 said:
The thing just keeps on running without any fuel :shock: :shock:

That's astonishing. Yet I presume it generates useable energy? How?

Gill

your guesses are correct, the scrapheap program was a bit poor as they didn`t manage to get the afterburner going.

no one breaking a turbo car then?

I was interested way before the scrapheap program, saw it once on discovery YEARS ago.

cheers

steve

Gill":1uco160d said:
Tony":1uco160d said:
The thing just keeps on running without any fuel :shock: :shock:

That's astonishing. Yet I presume it generates useable energy? How?

Gill

Not sure exactly how it works but I think Ed (for it was he) told me that the fuel was actually air - I would guess that oxygen was burnt

It was a bit temperamental and needed to be at just the right temperature etc., but when it worked it was :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Hi Tony

Fascinating. It makes you wonder why systems like that can't be used to help with commercial energy production.

Gill

Tony,

It's been a while since I took my thermodynamics classes but I am 100% sure that even ramjets need fuel. Air is in thermal equilibrium - were it not so the world would have burnt up long ago - it needs more energy to separate the constituents than the fuel value of any of them.

I should be happy to be proven wrong but I would be most surprised to be so!

Ramjets are used to provide propulsion on a number of high speed aircraft. Since they do not contain moving parts, ramjets have a distinct advantage over turbojets. They are lighter and much simpler in construction.

How Do Ramjets Work?

A typical ramjet consists on an inlet, a combustor, a flame holder, and an outlet nozzle. When an aircraft travels at high speeds, its forward motion forces air into a specially shaped inlet. This compresses the air to a high pressure and reduces it to a subsonic speed. Since air is compressed to a high pressure by the inlet, ramjets do not need the compressor stages used in a turbojet.

In the combustor, fuel is injected into the compressed air. This is ignited using a flame holder that localises the combustion process. This ensures that combustion occurs sub-sonically and the flame does not get "blown out" by the high air speeds.

The combustion of fuel causes rapid expansion of the gases leaving the flame holder. They are accelerated through the outlet nozzle at a high velocity. This provides the aircraft with a forward thrust and pushes it forward through the air.

Conclusion

The main disadvantage of ramjets is that they are not able to work at low flight speeds. This is because they rely purely on the forward motion of the aircraft to compress the air entering them. However, as aircraft velocity increases, ramjets continue to increase in efficiency. This makes them an ideal propulsion device for aircraft missiles.

Cut and pasted. The clever bit of ramjets (I think) is if you can get them moving at a sufficient velocity, then they work without the moving parts you would normally find in a jet engine.

adam

indeed, however they still need fuel

I`m sure you can`t oxidise oxygen!!!

I wish I knew what all this means

From the Glem Research Center Web site
The thrust equation for ramjets and scramjets contain three terms: gross thrust, ram drag, and a pressure correction. If the free stream conditions are denoted by a "0" subscript and the exit conditions by an "e" subscript, the thrust F is equal to the mass flow rate m dot times the velocity V at the exit minus the free stream mass flow rate times the velocity plus the pressure p difference times the nozzle exit area:

F = [m dot * V]e - [m dot * V]0 + (pe - p0) * Ae

More details here http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/ramth.html

You can even build your own one on a simulator here http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/ngnsim.html

Fascinating

Andy

You rocket scientist types astound and amaze me! :shock:
What I want to know is this-why do you even bother with wood? Its the most annoyingly analog material out there... :lol: :lol:
Cheers
10 Finger Phil :D

Whoooosssshhhhh.....

Something's just gone right over the top of my head.

Nothing unusual there, then.

Gill

Since they do not contain moving parts, ramjets have a distinct advantage over turbojets.

strictly speaking this isn't true... the cone that shapes / governs the inlet airflow has to be adjustable to compensate for airspeed and altitude; in flight it needs constant trimming...

The main disadvantage of ramjets is that they are not able to work at low flight speeds.

they work well enough to accelerate the SR-71 from standstill to Mach 6...

Latest posts

Back