Tulipwood??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the scam is on Tulipwood (Liriodendron tulipfera)? I bought some today from my hardwood supplier - because I was after some light coloured wood for some shelves and other bits and bobs (and didn't need anything fancy) - and it's really really cheap!! (~£13 / cubic foot).

But searching on rec.woodworking there seems to be a lot of confusion on what it actually is. Anyone here know? It seems to have very similiar properties to Ash. A lot of variation in colour and it machines very well. Haven't tried finishing it yet.

Cheers

Gidon

Soft, very stable dimensionally, takes a stain well. Easy to work. Is often an ugly green colour when freshly cut, but this doesn't last. Sometimes black streaks too, again, they don't last. Put it in the sun for a couple of hours and you'll see what I mean. Turns a nice honey colour in time. Excellent as a secondary timber.
Commercial names are Tulipwood, Canary Whitewood, American Poplar. All the same stuff.

Not to be confused with Tulipwood (!) as sold by Craft Supplies, which is a harder wood with pink streaks in it. Different animal entirely.

£13/ cube is a good price, I think.

Cheers
Steve

As Steve says, colours when fresh cut can be quite something - here's some I used

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg

Two different boards here, both fresh cut wood.

Chris - lovely piece of furniture. And nicely finished.
Thanks for posting pics - I quite like the figure - glad I've come across it.

Steve - thanks for the info. Confusing about the more expensive (Brazilian?) Tulipwood - this stuff is American.

Neil - yep A&C.

Cheers

Gidon

Back