Tuit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
My back is on the mend, and although not fit to be lifting and carrying and moving timber about, I decided I was fit to wield a spray can, on a tuit that's been around :roll: for ages. (warning, this is a long post and not much WW related :x ).

The floor of beehives is a wire mesh, with a metal edge, and I'd noticed months ago the bees were slipping as they tried to enter the hive.

medium.jpg

This kind of shows it - the enterance is about 1/3 of the way up, and they have to land, and climb in without a foothold

medium.jpg

I'd made up some "alighting" boards, along time ago, but hadn't put them into use as I couldn't be bothered to prime and gloss them.

Over a couple of days, with a few rests inbetween, I first primed

medium.jpg

Then glossed the boards. This worked well with my back injury as I was trying to avoid sitting. I was either to be lying down, or up and walking about every 20 minutes. I was able to paint a couple, then go for a lie down.

medium.jpg

Not quite ww'ing but it was in the workshop, and I did machine them a few months ago, and this is OT!

I printed a few sheets on the printer in size 200 text, then carefully used a scalpel to cut out the template

medium.jpg

Then used a spray can, to give each a number (Colony 1, Colony 2 etc)

medium.jpg

A top coat of laquer to seal the numbering

medium.jpg

To reduce surface tension when it's raining, and to improve traction, a good quantity of sand round the edges, and sived over the top provides an ideal surface.

medium.jpg

Just a case of screwing them to the hive now. I got the go-ahead from the Physio today to resume some "normal" but non-weight bearing or sporting activities, so thought I'd visit the apiary to screw them on

medium.jpg

I'm having two beehives delivered by a colleague from work (I'm not allowed to carry them yet) so screwed them to two empty stands.

medium.jpg

The bees aren't used to landing on them yet, it'll take a day or two before they realise they can just belly-flop onto them and then walk in.

medium.jpg

Those two unused stands which are waiting for a couple of swarms, that people have collected on my behalf. Swarm in tree....

medium.jpg

Swarm in beehive

medium.jpg

And finally, because I've been unable to collect them due to the weight (involves driving home like a nutter with your outfit on with the hive in the back of the car with some foam in the enterance block 8) .... A friend has been looking after them in his garden. (The two on the left) you can see another method of alighting board on his stand

medium.jpg

And finally, it's not unusual for beekeepers to keep their bees on a farm, but mine share with some rather unusual feathered friends.

I have to admit, I keep well back cos they nip your fingers, or if you are feeding them, punch their beaks into your armpits hard enough to make your eyes water. (coupled with the fact if they kick you, you'll be likely in for some life threatning injuries, hence them being considered "dangerous wild animals and needing double fencing).

medium.jpg

Safely the other side of that fence :lol:

medium.jpg

Adam (who's looking forward to getting back to work! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: )

Adam,
Glad to hear you're on the mend, Chap-back trouble really is murder isn't it?
Also, good to see your "Bee-having" yourself :lol:
Sorry, could'nt resist!
Best regards,
Philly :D

Nice little job, that. The bees should be very chuffed with you!
Hope your back keeps on mending at a steady rate, mate.
Don't push it!! Work can wait. (Well, hopefully!)

SF

Well, I'm quite pleased with my progress, not only did I manage to screw the boards on (well use the cordless screwdriver - so no actual effort). I popped in after being at the physio to see Aragorn and got a nosey round his workshop - and a play on one of these boggs spokeshaves. (Nice to meet you Aragorn by the way!).

I'm seeing the doctor tomorrow, and hopefully she'll sign me off to return to work.

Adam

Nice job with the hives Adam... canna keep a good man down...

I've been meaning to ask what you've been up to to keep boredom at bay... could use a few pointers myself; doc's banned me from the shop for anything between 1-8 weeks... I tore some ligaments in my leg over the weekend..

Midnight":1bad8b7h said:
I've been meaning to ask what you've been up to to keep boredom at bay... could use a few pointers myself; doc's banned me from the shop for anything between 1-8 weeks... I tore some ligaments in my leg over the weekend..

I was banned from the shop, and driving, due to taking Diazipam. I was told to stand up and walk about every 20 minutes, and to be lying down in between.

I found myself watering the garden, and walking about looking at the plants.

Watching the tennis (eastbourne) and the football.

Watching big-brother.

Now is the time to ring up the local papershop and get a broadsheet delivered every day. You can read them lying down trust me.

Watch the news, and listen to it!

Find a sudden liking for Radio 4 :shock:

Go on the internet.

Read books.

Despite all my suggestions, I found the drugs sent me to sleep most of the time. Never before have I slept through 2 phones ringing, less than 2 foot from where I'm asleep.

Adam

ahhh.... similar method to my own when my back goes. Got the doc's blessing to play in the shop whenever that happens, provided I don't push it too hard....doing some hands on stuff has helped snap my back into place a couple of times... damn painfull when it pops, but the improvement in articulation was almost immediate..

This time around tho, the enforced immobility's drivin me nutz; I gotta keep the damn thing elevated as much as possible.... SWMBO is a home shopping addict.. doesn't buy anything, just likes to hear it in the background... for the uniniciated, it's like suffering Radio Bejing played atchya incessently.....backwards...

Gets worse when I get hauled through to give an opinion on her ongoing creation... first attempt at making a quilt...

hmmmmmmmm....that's what I need.... a sketch pad.... time to give the gray matter a work out.. :twisted:

Adam,

Good to hear you're on the mend. Dunno about giving your bees such smart accoutrements mind you. They'll only gloat at all the other insects. :roll: Funnily enough we used to have some ostriches in our village; the ostrich burgers we particularly yummy as I recall. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3flc2zan said:
the ostrich burgers we particularly yummy as I recall. :D
Cheers, Alf

So I'm told my Mr. Ostrich Farmer.

I've got an order in for a couple of steaks.

Adam

Back