Tuffsaw Bandsaw blades.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently ordered my first bandsaw blade from Tuffsaw.

Delivered promptly, I was surprised to see that the blade was a finished product stamped "Starrett".

No complaints, it cuts beautifully, but I thought that all Tuffsaw blades were made up by them?

Martin.

At a guess I would say that it is from a large roll of Starrett blade cut and welded up to make your size

Agreed, that is Ian normal way of working.
I suspect you might find the name stamped a few times along the length of the blade which would support James's assertion.
If stamped just the once, it might be that Ian's business is build up to the point where he stocks some quality ready made blades in common sizes.

Thanks folks -

It's just that a few days ago I saw mention from someone that Tuff bought all their blade stock from a single supplier- can't recall who - and this seemed to contradict that statement.

Whatever, both the blade and the service are up to Tuff's excellent reputation, so I'm happy!

Martin.

Peter Sefton":abjm0xyx said:
The blade suppliers around the Uk do not normally produce the blade from raw material, they buy in pre punched and hardened blades by the roll. Their job is to cut, weld, grind and supply, this is equally as important as the first stage if not more so.

Cheers Peter
Wot Peter said - Rob

I have used Tuffsaws for several years. Good blades, service and advice.

Peter Sefton's words above explain the market.

One of the critical things in making a blade is the dressing and annealing process employed after the ends are welded. These are critical in producing a blade which will last.

Many years ago at college, I was using a proprietary machine for making bandsaw blades (cutting from roll; welding; etc), and expertise is required to develop the currents, temperature, times etc for the different stages of production.

I had discussions with Ian John on this topic at the time and that is where he scores with his knowledge and experience.

I've been a tuffsaws fan from the start, but theres not so much "art" to it any more.
Theres one firm in Cyprus that makes blades and he has just got a new state of the art machine.
All he has to do is place the two ends close to each other and press start. The machine moves the pieces together, heats them (temps shown on a digital display), welds them, heats them again, allows it to cool (temps and time shown on display) before releasing it.

I bought one as a trial. I still order from Ian, even though now he wont send them to me because of leaving the UK (DONT START!), so I have to get them sent to my family for delivery by the next visitor.

sunnybob":4t62bse7 said:
All he has to do is place the two ends close to each other and press start. The machine moves the pieces together, heats them (temps shown on a digital display), welds them, heats them again, allows it to cool (temps and time shown on display) before releasing it.
Axminster have a similar sort of machine - Rob

Back