Tuff Saw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akirk

Established Member
Reaction score
I was given a Draper bandsaw - all of about £80-£100 new - but this was boxed and still shrink wrapped from someone who had it in their garage and was gratefully received...

But it was frustrating - while useful for so much - whatever I did I couldn’t get it to cut in a straight line it drifted like the Queen Mary cast off into the channel!

So I did what any sensible person would do - I looked at the options to replace it, the budget moving from £200 to £400 up to ‘well I might as well spend £1,600....

I realised it was getting a bit silly so I decided on an interim strategy and popped off to buy a tuff saws blade / band for the princely sum of less than 10% of the starting budget!

Just put it on and what a revelation - it now cuts straight - I can even shave off minuscule slivers of wood...

Oh well, that excuse for an upgrade has gone, I am sure I can find another excuse!

575672B6-8AD9-476C-A731-768FF6306861.jpeg
B3289932-00D3-4B5D-9D14-14B52631B400.jpeg

Bandsaws are touchy things.

If cut lots of curved stuff on a blade, it won't then cut straight.

Tuffsaws do make quality blades with quite thin material so small bandsaws can tension then.

..I got the Aldi version of this saw a few years ago and as recommended on this forum I purchased a Tuffsaws blade which transformed the machine, (despite the crappy fence and "not really flat" pressed steel table). Recently purchased another Tuffsaws blade to replace the original one as I had worn it out, and again it gave the old machine a new lease of life!!

Last edited:
Been a few messages here indicating either he's got a full order book and can't take any more orders, or
he's cutting down?
Anyone spoken to him recently and can clarify please?

I believe, due the Brexit & VAT situation, he's not doing any more overseas sales. Just as well I have several of his stashed.

I ordered a custom lenght one for a new (and my first) bandsaw 3 weeks ago, astonished when it turned up only 4 days later. Blade and service both seem excellent. I will order one or two more now, different widths and tpi.

With my very limited experience I've already decided you need to fit the right blade for the job even though it takes a few minutes to change. It makes a real difference. You can 'get away with' a 3/8 4tpi for almost anything, but 'getting away with' isn't what you want - wood is expensive!

With my very limited experience I've already decided you need to fit the right blade for the job even though it takes a few minutes to change. It makes a real difference. You can 'get away with' a 3/8 4tpi for almost anything, but 'getting away with' isn't what you want - wood is expensive!
Quite agree Richard. More times you change it, easier it gets
(And more practice at folding b'saw blades!)

I find the changing the blade not too bad, it’s getting all the guides and tracking back properly that takes the time.
Another +1 to tuffsaws being a decent supplier.

(And more practice at folding b'saw blades!)

Gave up for now. Hammered nail into garage wall, hang them up :) Evil beasts when you don't get it right and they spring back on you. I guess they might get a bit of a 'set' if hung on a nail too long so better get proficient soon.

When he is too busy the website will close down but send an email and it will be answered quickly. I'm in Italy but still prefer to pay the not inconsiderable extra to have his blades shipped on by my sister in law.

Gave up for now. Hammered nail into garage wall, hang them up :) Evil beasts when you don't get it right and they spring back on you. I guess they might get a bit of a 'set' if hung on a nail too long so better get proficient soon.
Evil... OK dangerous. Look out a video on youtube (anyone?). Watching some smart ... do it in 5 seconds is a) annoying b)very satisfying when you crack it.
And they are much less dangerous when stored 'folded'

I wholly agree, just not spent much time on it yet. Would be safer if they didn't make them as sharp.... Oh, hang about...

Back