TTfone.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I've never been a fan of mobile phones only buying one many years ago costing £5 new. I only ever used the phone once each month weather permitting to let my wife know I was on my way home from Rufforth Auto Jumble. Because of Covid I'd forgotten about my phone which timed out so rather than mess around I thought I'd buy a cheap SOS TTfone costing around £11.

TTfone TT110 Cheap SOS Emergency Mobile Phone Basic Simple Cheapest Senior Easy | eBay

I was on O2 network where I only added credit as PAYG without contract and as long as I made a single call once every 6 months the credit remained. I'd like a similar set up but now it appears the only option as PAYG is monthly payments from around £5? £60 per year for less than a minute each month.

I'm a 73 year old dinosaur who hasn't a phone welded to his ear; this phone won't connect to "3" but its unlocked. Any ideas please?

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin,
My wife had the same problem as you, she is blind and only used the 02 PAYG when she went out with a friend but due to being house bound by lockdowns it had not been used and they changed it to a monthly and took her rollover away, I rang them this week and asked for a PAC code to move her number to another provider when asked why I wanted to leave I explained that 02 had taken her money had 02 not heard we are in lockdown and a mobile is used mobile not fixed the very pleasant lady on the line said no problem I will change it back to PAYG, she did and credited £12 back as well, so make the call and ask for a PAC code and explain about lockdown it might work for you.
I did find another supplier I was going to use it is 1Pmobile you only have to load £10 every 4 months or pay £30 for a years use.

Kind regards
Phill

Giffgaff, runs on 02 network. £10 to activate sim card and make at least one call or text every 6 months and it lasts forever (ish). I've been using for about 12 years and think I've topped up twice at a tenner each time and currently have £4.27 credit. I'm not a big user but it's handy to have for emergencies, etc. My biggest problem is remembering to charge the phone each week.

Hi,

Many thanks everyone for your useful and interesting replies which I very much appreciate.

Giffgaff, runs on 02 network. £10 to activate sim card and make at least one call or text every 6 months and it lasts forever (ish). I've been using for about 12 years and think I've topped up twice at a tenner each time and currently have £4.27 credit. I'm not a big user but it's handy to have for emergencies, etc. My biggest problem is remembering to charge the phone each week.

Excellent Mickjay; when I browsed Giffgaff website I was thrown by only seeing monthly bundles but following your advice I'm now fully up and running and it was dead easy in the end. I simply added £20 credit and received a free £5 top up. If I want to upgrade to a bundle at a later date I'm free to do so in the meantine I just need to keep the account active with an odd phone call and the credit remains untouched unless I use it. Great result.

This TTfone is perfect for me and it can sit in the car glove box with cable where I can quickly keep it charged up. No welding needed either as I don't want it permanently attached to my ear. At around £11 plus adding credit it makes sense to have use of a mobile phone. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

generally, Giffgaff are very good. Owned by O2. I have a SIM contract and it's been a pleasure being with them. Very flexible.

Hi,

Thanks Sandyn and AdrianUK; so far I'm delighted with Giffgaff; activating my new phone with Giffgaff was extremely easy and when I requested the SIM it was here next day; their website is easy even for me to understand. I did check reviews before even deciding to go with Giffgaff who are well regarded. With £25 credit now on my phone it will last forevever with my useage of less than a minute per month weather permitting; I'm well pleased.

Kind regards, Colin.

Back