Trying to source double sided tempered hardboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lomax

Reaction score
Hi all,

I registered here in the hope that someone might be able to help me find 3mm thick (1/8") oil tempered hardboard with smooth face and back - a.k.a. "S2S" or "wet/dry" hardboard. This is readily available in the US, and on the continent, but despite literally spending days searching the Internet I have yet to locate a single UK source. As a result I am frustrated and grumpy - please help! Anyone?

Cheers,

Lomax

Yeah, it's not hard to find oil tempered hardboard, but most places seem to sell the same "Lion" brand boards, which are wet/wet processed and have the rough mesh reverse. I think it's fair to assume that if it's not explicitly stated that it's smooth on both sides it won't be.

As an alternative, I could use a good quality plywood, 2.5-3mm thickness. But the only thing I've managed to find is 3mm birch ply which I'm sure is excellent stuff but it of course costs way more than the hardboard option would (£40 per 1525x1525 sheet, vs ~£15-20 per 2440x1220 sheet). I need this material to panel the ceiling on my boat, and it will be painted white - so visually you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between £250 worth of birch ply and £90 hardboard...

So if I'm panelling the ceiling, why would I need smooth both sides? Well I want to put the batten in an 80x100cm grid, but I'm worried about sagging - wet/dry tempered hardboard is much stiffer than the wet/wet type, and nicer to work with as well.

Perhaps someone has an alternative suggestion that won't break the bank?

Latest posts

Back