Trying to identify my Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P5aum

Reaction score
Hi all,

A newbie to woodturning here.
Last week I picked myself up my first lathe and I am hoping if anyone can help me to identify the make and model of this one . The badge on the front is BLC (I think!) as per the attached photos but I cannot find anything yet from google.

Appreciate any help on this.

Attachments

• 7651783F-D785-4F0B-831C-12F247E68A46.jpeg
    7651783F-D785-4F0B-831C-12F247E68A46.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 251
  • 515A34E9-0CDA-428B-8BF6-DCD439E6D274.jpeg
    515A34E9-0CDA-428B-8BF6-DCD439E6D274.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 257
Hi P5aum

Although I own the exact same BLC lathe, I also have not been able to gather much information about the manufacturer. I live in Norfolk and inherited the lathe from a dear old friend, who has now sadly pasted away, so am not able to gain any further details from him. I believe he originally purchased it new from East Dereham, Norfolk but I have no idea if it was from the original manufacturer or a supplier.

The only possible link I found related to the (BLC) was the Britan Lathe Company, based in Newmarket, Norfolk. That company ceased trading in 2005, but it appear to have manufactured metal lathes, whether they branched out into Wood turning lathe I cannot establish.

If you are able to gather any more information please let me know.

John

Does it have any information elsewhere on the lathe, Serial number or product number. Does the motor have a rating plate??

Hello all...
Writing as interested in Woodturning and being an ex engineer...I would say I used a Britain capstan when I was an apprentice circa 1972.
Good machine and well made...so hopefully your machine will prove a bargain

Hi P5aum

Although I own the exact same BLC lathe, I also have not been able to gather much information about the manufacturer. I live in Norfolk and inherited the lathe from a dear old friend, who has now sadly pasted away, so am not able to gain any further details from him. I believe he originally purchased it new from East Dereham, Norfolk but I have no idea if it was from the original manufacturer or a supplier.

The only possible link I found related to the (BLC) was the Britan Lathe Company, based in Newmarket, Norfolk. That company ceased trading in 2005, but it appear to have manufactured metal lathes, whether they branched out into Wood turning lathe I cannot establish.

If you are able to gather any more information please let me know.

John
Hi John, if I find anything I will let you know. Just one question I am going to look for a new Chuck and trying to identify the thread on the spindle, do you know what this is?
Phil

Hi John, if I find anything I will let you know. Just one question I am going to look for a new Chuck and trying to identify the thread on the spindle, do you know what this is?
Phil
So sorry not to have gotten back to you, I have not been on the site for some time now.
I have looked back through my paperwork and can not find any definitive measurements for you, but this PDF file from DICTUM in Germany may help to identify the threads. My lathe's spindle shaft is 7/8" and the chuck adapter I have for my Duplex Multistar chuck system would appear to be 1 1/2 inch x 6 tpi BSW RH, (Distance between thread crests in mm is 4.23).

Hope that maybe some use to you.
Best regards John

Attachments

• Thread_sizing.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
So sorry not to have gotten back to you, I have not been on the site for some time now.
I have looked back through my paperwork and can not find any definitive measurements for you, but this PDF file from DICTUM in Germany may help to identify the threads. My lathe's spindle shaft is 7/8" and the chuck adapter I have for my Duplex Multistar chuck system would appear to be 1 1/2 inch x 6 tpi BSW RH, (Distance between thread crests in mm is 4.23).

Hope that maybe some use to you.
Best regards John
Pictures of my Chuck plate for use with my Duplex Multistar chuck system.
Best regards
John

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Chuck plate rear.jpg
    Chuck plate rear.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Chuck plate front.jpg
    Chuck plate front.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Chuck plate side.jpg
    Chuck plate side.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7
Hi all,

A newbie to woodturning here.
Last week I picked myself up my first lathe and I am hoping if anyone can help me to identify the make and model of this one . The badge on the front is BLC (I think!) as per the attached photos but I cannot find anything yet from google.

Appreciate any help on this.

Hello,
30 years ago I bought the same lathe! The person I bought it from in Long Island New York said it was called a "British Luck Lathe" and he said it was made in Britain. Up until the moment I saw the picture you posted with the BLC badge I've never seen a photo or any word of it.
Are use it when I need it and haven't turned anything in 10 years. I did just take it out of under the bench because I have a couple jobs to do.
I'm a lifelong woodworker, some photos of my work and my contact information is on my website at johnwebberwoodwork.com
I've just begun again to search the Internet to find evidence of any info regarding this lathe or the company that made it.
If you or anyone else has any info please forward it to me, and I will do the same.

Cheers!

1642679419327.jpeg
IMG_2505.jpeg

Hello Friends,
I am still searching and still have no idea who made this lathe or where it came from.
I've done some google image searches of the round BLC logo, and still nothing other than the three of us.
Have any of you found information?
After blowing 20 years of dust off since using it last I was able to do a few jobs. The photo shows the original 100 year old baluster under the White oak copy I just turned. Then tried to duplicate the color and patina
C3D3D234-318B-4EAC-892D-0DE8181A9A01_1_201_a.jpeg

Not got time to do a proper search today, but could that L be a decorated E? Look how it's joined to the C where it would have been more normal to join the C to the edge instead.

There was a company called B Elliott which imported and sold all sorts of kit and along the way acquired some small machine tool manufacturers. Could have been one of those companies like machine mart-Clarke who stick their own branding on stuff they deal in. Plus there seem to be many BEC companies in UK and USA.

Long shot but in the absence of any other leads worth a look perhaps.

Information in regard to the BLC Lathe. The BLC lathe that I own has been a workhorse for many, many years now, but unfortunately one of the bearings is starting to become increasingly noisy and starting to run hot. I decided to strip the lathe down, and although I could not find any identifying serial numbers for the bearings, I believe the following item is a possible replacement. (SKF 7205 BECBM). There are also two pressure seals, per bearing, and have the following ID. Numbers, STEFA CB 35x52x10 and STEFA CB 25x40x7.
I hope this of some use for BLC Lathe owners.
Please use this for information only, as no identifying references were found on the original bearings.

7205 BECBM​

Single row angular contact ball bearing
These single row angular contact ball bearings can accommodate radial and axial loads acting simultaneously, where the axial load acts in one direction only. They can operate at high speeds and, depending on the variant, even very high speeds. They are more suitable than deep groove ball bearings for supporting large axial forces acting in one direction.
  • High-speed capability
  • Accommodate relatively high radial loads and large unilateral axial loads
SKF performance classSKF Explorer
Dimensions - 7205 BECBM

Dimensions​

d25 mmBore diameter
D52 mmOutside diameter
B15 mmWidth
d1≈ 35.85 mmShoulder diameter of inner ring (large side face)
d2≈ 30.87 mmShoulder diameter of inner ring (small side face)
D1≈ 41.5 mmShoulder diameter of outer ring (large side face)
a24 mmDistance side face to pressure point
r1,2min. 1 mmChamfer dimension
r3,4min. 0.6 mmChamfer dimension
Abutment dimensions - 7205 BECBM

Abutment dimensions​

damin. 30.6 mmDiameter of shaft abutment
Damax. 46.4 mmAbutment diameter housing
Dbmax. 47.8 mmDiameter of housing abutment
ramax. 1 mmRadius of fillet
rbmax. 0.6 mmRadius of fillet

Morning,
Can I suggest that if you want to identify a lathe etc you first look at the Lathes.Uk site and contact Tony . I have found him an extremely helpful chap in the past and with an immense fund of knowledge. Send him the pics and see if he can shed some light on the manufacturer.

Back