trying to get hold of a copy of Microsoft office 2003

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
trying to get hold of a legit copy of MS office 2003 or another similar year, can i install a second hand copy?

thanks

adidat

Pre 2007 MS licenses can be traded without problems. I think I have an unused copy in the office and will look for it in the morning.

well im having a pc built as my mac went down the pan, i want it for sketchup designing, small amounts of documents and so on. also wanting to play older games like battlefield 1942. i dont really get on with the newer Microsoft stuff e.g. vista and 7. i did all my I.T. training on xp and office 03 onwards its all i want and need. theres nothing windows 7 can offer for me.

also a im hoping it will be cheaper

Would not Open office do all you need, and it would be more up to date than 2003 vesions of MS Office.

Assume you have a legit copy of XP operating system or similar.

If you have try and get yourself a slipstreamed CD built as soon as you have all the security updates downloaded as XP will loose support soon.

Why not just use Ubuntu? Except for playing games (which I have a PS3 for that) I don't need Windows

Open Office is free. Though for word processing I've got to get my brother to teach me Latex as I have to write a thesis

thanks for all your offers guys have sorted it now.

chas am i right to think that xp will be supported up until 2014?

adidat

adidat":3c69r0qy said:
chas am i right to think that xp will be supported up until 2014?

adidat

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/ ... gb&C2=1173

http://blogs.technet.com/b/lifecycle/ar ... -2014.aspx

Just make sure you have release copies of SP3. and all download updates.
Safest bet is to make a slipstream CD if you can as up to date as possible then there is less risk of there being missing code should you need to start from scratch with a new installation.

Recommendations for users of Windows XP
•To receive support and security updates, you must be running on a supported product and on a supported service pack version. For Windows XP this is currently SP2 or SP3.
•Visit Windows Update regularly and confirm you have installed all available security updates. These are critical to keep your machine free from malware.
•Rest easy knowing that Microsoft will continue to support Windows XP for another five years!

Most ancillaries from XP will run on Windows 7.But I have to buy a new scanner, (Or rely on the crappy built in variant on my HP Printer). Also have to scrap a couple of Memory sticks, with encryption programs on them, as the programs won't run on Windows 7. Most other stuff has been transferred OK. But I am still building another desktop that will take Windows XP. I shall have to look into this 'slipstreamed' disc idea though.
Thanks

John

You might want to look into virtual computing, this allows you to run a virtual version of XP on Vista or Windows7.
I only know about it through my daughter who is something of a wiz kid in this area, but I have read about it and it would seem to be one way for you to go.
The idea is that you can run many different computers on your own, afraid you'll have to look into that yourself if you're willing.
Hope this helps...bosshogg

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

bosshogg":26j2iw9u said:
You might want to look into virtual computing, this allows you to run a virtual version of XP on Vista or Windows7.
I only know about it through my daughter who is something of a wiz kid in this area, but I have read about it and it would seem to be one way for you to go.
The idea is that you can run many different computers on your own, afraid you'll have to look into that yourself if you're willing.
Hope this helps...bosshogg

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein (hammer)

Sounds like a good solution for me. Tell me more sil vous plait!

John :D

I think you need the Professional versions of W7 to do that ?
They will run all the XP stuff as I found to my cost as I only bought Home Premium.
Got round it by running XP on my MacBook.

Softwarebilliger.de sell cheap copies of XP.

Rod

Thanks Harbo.

I am having my old desktop restored with a new motherboard, which is apparently XP tolerant. It won't use all the 4 gig of available RA-memory, but it will access 3 gig, so that will suffice.
If worst comes to worst I'll get a copy of Windows 7 Pro I suppose. There must be some way I can get a reasonably priced copy.

The other alternative is a MAC, but that can of worms is best left closed for the moment! :D

John :)

We run XP Virtual machine on our Win 7 machines at work as a standard package. It runs our legacy software. You just bootup XP within Windows like any other program log in and run it as if it is your main PC load software into it etc. As said you need professional or ultimate versions for that. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Dual booting is another option to choose which operating system you desire at start up. This is just the first link I picked when googling http://apcmag.com/the_definitive_dualbo ... bystep.htm

If you are a student or have a student then cheaper copies are available http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/windows ... ts-1065315 However the second response to the post about win 7 suggests that you don't need to be a student.

Alan

Back