trying to find 1000mm steel rule with 1mm markings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it should be easy, but I need one (2 actually) with marked in millimetres but without 1/2 mm's. I don't know why manufacturers feel the need to put in 1/2 mm markings, they make ALL the marking difficult to read. On the net, n=most tool shops link to the Toolbank site, and most of the photos of rules are wrong, and therefore NFG. Anyone know where I can buy what I want?
John

John,

Tilgear do a Japanese one with millimetres on one edge, 0.5s on the other, and imperial on the reverse. Stainless steel and about £15 + vat if that's any use. I agree, 1/2 mills are a pain.

Cheers, Alf

Sorry John.... I shoulda been more specific.....

I bought that very one a couple of months ago.... the markings are printed rather than etched or engraved / stamped, cover both metric in mm and imperial........printed both sides of the rule.... rule material is amuminium....

John,

Try http://catalog.teamvise.co.uk/
Type "rules" into the search box and the first item may suit your needs. Or one of the many others and don't be buying any 3m rules - about £400 + Vat!

Rgds

Noel

Thanks for the replies so far, chaps.

Alf, do you have any contact details or ideally web address for Tilgear.

Noely, I couldn't find any prices on the Teamvise online catalogue. Are there any or do I need to ring them?

John

John, I couldn't agree anymore about how hard it is to read those half millimetres. I am too looking for one not too long.
As usual, not easy to find anything out of the bog standard in Ireland!! :(

John,

Yup, not alot of prices on the site. Maybe ring them. As a guide I have the printed catalogue (2002 edition) and the first one is £18 + Vat. Best to check.

Rgds

Noel

John

B&Q do a cheapy metre rule-printed aluminium. Its a decent straight edge, I use mine a lot. If it gets mangled its cheap to replace.

Drew :)

You could try Buck and Hickman. This url is 10 of 42 entries for steel rules
https://www.farnell.com/cgi-bin/buck_hi ... p-bh-o.cgi

The price range is enormous. This page offers a Stanley for £9.94, the page before has a Rabone at £134!

I always try to use a measuring stick rather than rulers when I can, to avoid the inevitable discrepancies between various rulers and also the way you read them. If you always use the same ruler it's not really a problem but usually there's a tape measure involved somewhere. I bought a bunch of cheap tapes and checked them against my metre rule and marked the one that gave the best match - put the others in the drawer or use them for non-critical jobs.

At my age (undisclosed!) I find that it pays to buy a rule with a good non-reflecting, satin finish that can be read in all light conditions. These are expensive and I make it a habit not to use them for cutting with a knife - using instead either a cheap ruler or a simple steel straightedge. A good knife will invariably nick the edge of a ruler in time.

Thanks for the new link, Chris. Their website is not the best I've visited, and it's become obvoiuos that I need a copy of their catalogue in order to get enough info on the products, so I've ordered on from their local branch
I take your point about the story stick, but I need these rules to incorporate into a machine that I am making.
John

Alf":2giv23iw said:
Tilgear don't seem to grasp the concept of the web, but their 'phone number is 01707 873434

Cheers, Alf

They might not even have a telephone answering set-up either, which will be nice. Just like the old days when you spoke to a person! :)

Your machine souns interesting John. Are we going to see a competitor for the 'Woodrat'?
Might be fun that!
:D

John W

have you tried out staples, or hobby craft for such metal rules, once it became more difficult to get engineering rules from starret etc, i found that these were better places to buy. woodworking shops tend only to sell tapes.

paul :wink:

Back