• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

trying to find 1000mm steel rule with 1mm markings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, it should be easy, but I need one (2 actually) with marked in millimetres but without 1/2 mm's. I don't know why manufacturers feel the need to put in 1/2 mm markings, they make ALL the marking difficult to read. On the net, n=most tool shops link to the Toolbank site, and most of the photos of rules are wrong, and therefore NFG. Anyone know where I can buy what I want?
John

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
John,

Tilgear do a Japanese one with millimetres on one edge, 0.5s on the other, and imperial on the reverse. Stainless steel and about £15 + vat if that's any use. I agree, 1/2 mills are a pain.

Cheers, Alf

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry John.... I shoulda been more specific.....

I bought that very one a couple of months ago.... the markings are printed rather than etched or engraved / stamped, cover both metric in mm and imperial........printed both sides of the rule.... rule material is amuminium....

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

Try http://catalog.teamvise.co.uk/
Type "rules" into the search box and the first item may suit your needs. Or one of the many others and don't be buying any 3m rules - about £400 + Vat!

Rgds

Noel

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, chaps.

Alf, do you have any contact details or ideally web address for Tilgear.

Noely, I couldn't find any prices on the Teamvise online catalogue. Are there any or do I need to ring them?

John

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
John, I couldn't agree anymore about how hard it is to read those half millimetres. I am too looking for one not too long.
As usual, not easy to find anything out of the bog standard in Ireland!! :(

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

Yup, not alot of prices on the site. Maybe ring them. As a guide I have the printed catalogue (2002 edition) and the first one is £18 + Vat. Best to check.

Rgds

Noel

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
John,

Tilgear don't seem to grasp the concept of the web, but their 'phone number is 01707 873434

Cheers, Alf

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
John

B&Q do a cheapy metre rule-printed aluminium. Its a decent straight edge, I use mine a lot. If it gets mangled its cheap to replace.

Drew :)

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
You could try Buck and Hickman. This url is 10 of 42 entries for steel rules
https://www.farnell.com/cgi-bin/buck_hi ... p-bh-o.cgi

The price range is enormous. This page offers a Stanley for £9.94, the page before has a Rabone at £134!

I always try to use a measuring stick rather than rulers when I can, to avoid the inevitable discrepancies between various rulers and also the way you read them. If you always use the same ruler it's not really a problem but usually there's a tape measure involved somewhere. I bought a bunch of cheap tapes and checked them against my metre rule and marked the one that gave the best match - put the others in the drawer or use them for non-critical jobs.

At my age (undisclosed!) I find that it pays to buy a rule with a good non-reflecting, satin finish that can be read in all light conditions. These are expensive and I make it a habit not to use them for cutting with a knife - using instead either a cheap ruler or a simple steel straightedge. A good knife will invariably nick the edge of a ruler in time.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the new link, Chris. Their website is not the best I've visited, and it's become obvoiuos that I need a copy of their catalogue in order to get enough info on the products, so I've ordered on from their local branch
I take your point about the story stick, but I need these rules to incorporate into a machine that I am making.
John

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Alf":2giv23iw said:
Tilgear don't seem to grasp the concept of the web, but their 'phone number is 01707 873434

Cheers, Alf
They might not even have a telephone answering set-up either, which will be nice. Just like the old days when you spoke to a person! :)

Your machine souns interesting John. Are we going to see a competitor for the 'Woodrat'?
Might be fun that!
:D

John W

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
have you tried out staples, or hobby craft for such metal rules, once it became more difficult to get engineering rules from starret etc, i found that these were better places to buy. woodworking shops tend only to sell tapes.

paul :wink: