Trying the picture thing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlimShavings

Established Member
Reaction score
Since I've been addin my two farthings around here I am going to try an upload a couple pictures of the whats coming out of the shop. Its a custom piece (9 ft tall) that has to be painted (yuk) so it doesn't have the beaded back on yet Hope this works
cornercabinet0091hc.jpg

And for you Haters of the 45 :)
picture0095rg.jpg

I'll post a final image when its finished. hopefully to look like it is 50 years old so it matches the existing. #-o

Slim,

It looks great! Alf will be very pleased to see a boat anchor in use too :lol:

As a matter of interest, why not use a router for the groove?

Your workshop looks a bit cramped..... :wink: :lol:
Cabinet looks very flash,too. And please don't get Alf started with those multi-plane thingys! :twisted:
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi, Slim.

Isn't it big :)

How are you going to get it out of the workshop, or are you just going to use it to store your tools.

Yeah, it's very nice.

That's beautiful, Slim. Are you making it for yourself or is it a commission?

Gill

Needless to say.......This lady is impressed...My woodworking abilities are limited and what you are up to is awesome...
Lin

Thanks guys and gals

Some answers

Waterhead
The molding on the cabinet is 4-1/2" wide with 4 1/2 beads. Couldn't figure out how to do that on a router table :oops: But it only took me about an hour to make them with the 45

Philly
Shop is 1800 sq ft. but I'm backed up. More on that further on

The rest of ya'all

THe cabinet is a commission from a NOT so nice lady with a lot of money. Its made of Poplar and unfortunately it gets painted and beat up and repainted to match the rest of the Antiques in her house.
Being I live in the mountains I pretty much do any kind of cabinet,furniture repair, trim work to make a living.

I have two more corner cabinets to build behind this one. One with a bonnet. Then two " Govenor Winthrop/Plantation Desks" to make. i would be happy to post pictures as i go. And if anybody wants to "build along" Corner cabinets are pretty easy (LIN) (I've seen your scroll work) A table saw,router,router table, or rat are about all you need. A biskit joiner and pocket hole kit are plusses. And I know Alf would help with those that want to use there 45. There like Dado's. Not to be feared. I've seen a lot of shops and work on here. I'm sure any of you could do an excellent job. I would be glad to offer my help and make it a group thing if I may be so bold.LIN ? :D

Slim, Sure wish I had the time to jump in on this and say.......teach me....I do have a router table....Only have used it for decrative edges on bases for my scrolled projects. Have a tablesaw...but have no idea what a rat is...neither of the two pluses are in my little garage shop either. I think I have a set of dado blades...somewhere....have never used them. Don't really know how. Wish I could look over your shoulder a bit while you were building...Eyes to brain....works so much better than reading it....
I'm as the norm....cutting on the scrollsaw..have a few orders and have to get going on my x-mas gifts here shortly or won't get them done in time. My orders start picking up in October...x-mas is around the corner by then. In my spar time I've been playing on the lathe...There is definitely a higher learning curve for turning than scrolling.... :roll:
Lin

Lin
I've found that to many people get to romantically and religious :) doing woodwork. The lathe is not that hard. I don't scroll (got a dewalt but no time) but I turn. and unless your doing something far out its pretty straight forward. Just make sure your tools are sharp. You only need a couple gouges, a partin tool,scraper and later on a skew. Teaching yourself has the advantage of not learning a lot of others mistakes and/or "religion" practice all you can and try whatever comes to mind. You'll be suprised how soon you become a turner. And I know the guys and gals here will be glad to help you. they do talk kind of weird sometimes though. Which reminds me a rat is what they call a "Woodrat" its some kind of fancy router machine :) Seem a lot more common in europe. there kinda expensive. Most of my tools are from the 50's and Pop Mechanics 1909 Shop notes LOL

Slim, Since you're from the US...Hoping you can give me some input on this. I've been looking to buy a planer....Thinking I should go portable...Cramped for space...Anyways.I've been looking at the DeWalt 734 and 735.....There is about a 150 price tag difference between them. Higher price one is 1" wider and has two speeds....also has a chip exhaust to blow chips off during planing. The lower priced one comes with infeed out feed tables where as the higher one does not. Both have three disposable blades. lower price one only has one speed and no chip exhaust....Do you know anything about these planers?
Thanks for any info on the subject.
Lin

Lin
I'm not a Dewalt fan. had a bunch but IMHO quality is bad and gettin worse. Same for Delta. i have a 20 inch RBI and for a small one I have a Ryobi 13" 249.00 from home Depot. 199.00 from Cummins. I've had a 12 " for 10 years before this one. Ryobi is sort of a stepchild for tools. i have 2- BT3000 saws and they are good saws. They seem to do a good job on there bench tools. Their other power tools are good buys for the money. But not the best. Hitachi has a planer at Lowes 329.00 i think. They generally have good stuff. i have there routers and CMS. Right now the tool industry in the US is in flux. Lot of bad stuff out there. I know there is lot of old iron in Michigan. My daughter lives across the border from Hillsdale, Mi in Montpelier, Ohio. I say buy the best you can get. Your gonna use it a long time. There is a good dealer in Jackson, Mi Can't remeber there name. But know your supplier is the best bet. Make them take care of you. After all you WILL but a lot more tools :)
By the way. had a good time canoeing the Au-Sable a few years back. Spent three days there. And if you go up to Paradise I built a house on the bay for some people there. Fly's and Mosquitos were BAD
LEt me know what you get.

Nice looking cabinet slim. I just built a small cabinet in poplar - lovely to work with but hate the greenish colour.

Tony,
A couple of years and poplar goes a very nice light brown with interesting figure and shades. If you can't wait that long, it stains pretty well.

Pitty it has to be painted, maybe one of Phillies B&Q HVLPs will help?

Well done for promoting the 45 - I use mine more and more these days. Just so much safer than a router.

Da iawn

Back