Trying something new.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade_101

Reaction score
Usually, like a lot of my fellow scroll-sawers, i've quite happily used pre-made patterns ordered from websites, but there are quite a lot of limitations on the variety of patterns I was able to find.
I wanted to try and find a pattern with a Halo (xbox game) theme but with little avail.

So after reading an article on software which makes photos and pictures into black and white I decided to try it and it turned out alot better than I first expected.

Time taken to make: 7 hours, collectively over three days
Wood: Plywood

SAM_0070edit.jpg

I thought the picture i had previously posted didn't really do this piece much Justice, i thought i'd post a more updated picture.
Final.jpg

I know its not exactly the usual elegant, austere wood working pieces that are ever so popular, but sometimes i like to loosen a few tethers and try something a little bit more creative and challenging, as i enjoy trying to work out patterns from pictures.
Thankyou for all your feedback! :)

Any opinions/comments/constructive criticism would be much appreciated :)

Attachments

• SAM_0070edit.jpg
    SAM_0070edit.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 782
  • Final.jpg
    Final.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 530
while i applaude the sheer grit and determination of this project i fail to see in the final cutout what it actually is, it doesn't look like anything at all, i must admit i can make out the gun but little else.
Please keep on with this type of practise as i am sure you wii succeed and also find its not what you remove but what you leave behind that matters.

well done..

Just a few thoughts about your ideas. Before committing to cutting try to print out on thick card and cut the negative from the positive carefully so as to preserve both parts, then hold each against it opposing colour and evaluate the results. Do not be afraid to change parts and shading (quite a bit if needed). No body will know and its not an exam. A white background may help the cutting to stand out. I have used mounting board in the past. Some pictures do not take this kind of work no matter what you try. The only way is to keep trying and it will click. Bearing in mind that I have not got a clue about the actual subject in the picture or an xbox.

I've done something very similar using photoshop to make stencils before. The filter I use (stamp) allows me to alter the light/dark balance and smoothness, making the picture in question less complicated and stand out more. A slight adjustment would make the light areas bigger, making it clearer to recognise.

Being an Xbox fan.. I recognise Master Chief straight away. :)

@Stevebuk
- Thankyou for your honest opinion, as a big fan of the game and the maker of this piece my opinion is often biased :) and that's good advice, if I try this again I'll be sure to try and compare which colour to cut out depending on which will look the best.
@Clockie
- I should've thought of that before I actually dedicated to this pattern, it would've saved a lot of time and wood if I'd have tried the pattern on card beforehand. I'll be sure to do that when I attempt future patterns, this would make it much easier to experiment and get a final, better piece. :)
@Digitalsmokehead
-Nice to see a fellow Halo fan! :D
And i've never thought of trying with Photoshop, I shall attempt to re-make the pattern and see if I can get better definition to make the piece more recognisable and more distinct. I'll keep this topic updated if I happen to make a breakthrough with the pattern!

Thankyou everyone for your advice and opinions! :D

:)

It's a good first attempt at pattern design. New designers almost always end up with floaters (no, I don't mean those unwanted swimming companions off Ingoldmells beach) or bridges that are too fine. You have avoided both those pitfalls. Take heart - the first attempts are always flawed and only experience will teach you how to make successful patterns.

My advice to you is to choose your source photographs with great care. Always select a photograph which has a high degree of contrast. Be wary of creating edges where the human eye doesn't naturally perceive an edge. Oh, and remember that a good photograph is a work of art in its own right; just as good books rarely make good movies, so it is that a great photograph rarely makes a great shadow portrait.

Back