Trying linseed paint - £141.68 for 1 litre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":1u8pj7b1 said:
I couldn't get the number to work on oldhousestores website. The number on the tin worked o.k though. 01189469146

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just had an email back from Oldhouse saying they've lost the franchise for Alback.

Chip shop":3ch27bvj said:
ColeyS1":3ch27bvj said:
I couldn't get the number to work on oldhousestores website. The number on the tin worked o.k though. 01189469146

Just had an email back from Oldhouse saying they've lost the franchise for Alback.
Ah, that's interesting. When I initially looked at buying all the bits I noticed they sold allbacks own version of linseed oil. When I went to look again all I could find was liberon. That probably explains why it had vanished from the online shop.

Jacob":15783khf said:
Interesting.
Allback have their own site http://linoljeprodukter.se/international and list a sole agent https://swedishlinseedpaint.co.uk/ (website under construction)
They seem to be an 'art' gallery https://atelierthink.co.uk/ (more wall decorations than art IMHO)
Perhaps it's catching on in a big way and people are jockeying for position!
I wonder why they lost the franchise. I'd rate the oldhouse guy very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about the paint, perhaps they just weren't selling enough.

One thing that's obvious is the drying isn't an issue at all. It takes two days for every coat. That's easy to manage.

I'm waiting for the linseed soap to arrive before I rub back and hopefully give it a final coat
d1d4caa65d605037ba934b0ea31cac20.jpg
9ecfc6d2e1828741df59c0fe426bbc6a.jpg

Camera seems to focus better on my finger than the paint for some reason. Ignore the specs of dust in on the paint. I accidentally kicked it over when it was still wet. Fingers crossed linseed soap prevents the blotchyness happening again.

thick_mike":7e21j99x said:
Has anyone tried making their own linseed oil paint? Pretty easy to do I'd imagine.
It appears you need special linseed oil, which is very expensive.

BugBear

Linseed oil has arrived
39fde72148efb5a749c1a92cae3725a9.jpg

40e2311ad594355747238ed55c85f55b.jpg

Only says interior on the tin though. Ffs ! Do I need a special exterior version ?

Allback sell their own linseed oil.

Our raw Linseed Oil comes from Gunnarshögs farm in Skane, Sweden and is processed at our factory in Ystad. Here we extract the protein and clean the oil following a historic eighteenth-century recipe.

The raw linseed oil is ideal for impregnating old and dry timber as well as making putty and soap.

The boiled, i.e. oxidised, linseed oil is processed to create Linseed Oil Paint, Linseed Oil Wax and Linus Wallpaint. It can also be used to thin Linseed Oil Paint.

£11.00 per litre.

BugBear

bugbear":min1i7ow said:
Allback sell their own linseed oil.

Our raw Linseed Oil comes from Gunnarshögs farm in Skane, Sweden and is processed at our factory in Ystad. Here we extract the protein and clean the oil following a historic eighteenth-century recipe.

The raw linseed oil is ideal for impregnating old and dry timber as well as making putty and soap.

The boiled, i.e. oxidised, linseed oil is processed to create Linseed Oil Paint, Linseed Oil Wax and Linus Wallpaint. It can also be used to thin Linseed Oil Paint.

£11.00 per litre.

BugBear
Was that on the oldhouse website ? I couldn't see it when I looked the second time.

10172f6ab81fd30f962c09e59382ee29.jpg

I'm slowly losing the will to live ! Lol
9 quid for delivery.

ColeyS1":1eztcav8 said:
I'm slowly losing the will to live ! Lol
9 quid for delivery.

That's appalling.

Ebay?

Would it make a difference if it wasn't squeezed from the balls of an allback linseed goat ? Is there likely to be any difference from their version and a generic exterior raw oil ? Is it worth me risking it or should I just get an El cheapo version ? Decisions decisions decisions....

ColeyS1":3t92akky said:
Would it make a difference if it wasn't squeezed from the balls of an allback linseed goat ? Is there likely to be any difference from their version and a generic exterior raw oil ? Is it worth me risking it or should I just get an El cheapo version ? Decisions decisions decisions....

El cheapo for me, and I've not had any paint fall off yet.

After an awful result with Dulux on our windows (lasted less than 2 years before needing completely redone) we have decided to go down the linseed paint route - mainly due to comments on this site. After lots of searching we are using a company called Oricalcum https://www.linseedpaint.com/

Not placed a full order yet but have ordered their sample card and a few test pots. Their black really is an impressive black!

H.

Back