Trump and bleach

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That would work

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't usually allow imbecilic people or comments to irritate me. Suffice to say that today is a day that I pity normal Americans.

What I do not understand is why he is not shouted down/laughed at publicly. There are doctors in the room and still he gets away with it? America is a democracy not a dictatorship right?

True, but he is not far removed from our own political masters, they in the main have noddy degrees often ironically PPE!! But somehow think themselves experts in subjects that require significant effort and ability to achieve proficiency.
It always stuck in my head that, Cherie Blair who must have some intelligence to become a senior lawyer was/is a big believer in the healing powers of crystals.

The big concern about trump pronouncement was the scientist standing next to him was (I assume) too scared to correct him.

That would work":2hdxbk4y said:
What I do not understand is why he is not shouted down/laughed at publicly. There are doctors in the room and still he gets away with it? America is a democracy not a dictatorship right?

No matter how the next election goes, the stupidity will continue. We have two geriatric head nodders running who don't really have much ability to grasp and manipulate concepts.

I suppose if his advice removes some folks, on both sides of the Atlantic, from the gene pool, it will not be entirely a bad thing.
Same folks who are burning down phone masts for example.

He is an arrogant fool and bully. If you disagree with him publicly you end up fired or ridiculed. Or he might change his mind and praise your intellect the following day.

What saddens me is that he started with the intent of "making America great again". What he has actually achieved is to make America a laughing stock.

Some-one in the US needs the resolve to get rid of him - either by making it easy for him to step aside "willingly" or simply remove him from office under the 25th Amendment.

If you haven't seen it I suggest you watch the film Idiocracy (comedy, easy watch) - it demonstrates the dangers of a Trump like presidency.

he's a narcissist no question, he's gaslighting the female doctor, that's what I'm observing behaviour wise.

Terry - Somerset":32rpmv6g said:
He is an arrogant Silly person and bully. If you disagree with him publicly you end up fired or ridiculed. Or he might change his mind and praise your intellect the following day.

What saddens me is that he started with the intent of "making America great again". What he has actually achieved is to make America a laughing stock.

Some-one in the US needs the resolve to get rid of him - either by making it easy for him to step aside "willingly" or simply remove him from office under the 25th Amendment.

If you haven't seen it I suggest you watch the film Idiocracy (comedy, easy watch) - it demonstrates the dangers of a Trump like presidency.

we aren't that thin skinned around here. If someone judges us by politicians, then we usually disregard what they think. The US has a long tradition of separating the government from the public and maybe wrongly, we assume that public in other countries has distrust of politics and government. You know where we got that - it started in the 1700s, and many (including my germanic ancestors) came over here because they wanted to live somewhere that the government wasn't part of your daily life in everything that you do.

Our news media and some of the other people who don't do much with their hands (or sometimes their brains) or run a real business often publish snark about politics and get really wrapped up in it, but they don't realize that they're being had by what's basically pro wrestling booking tactics (that's all politics is - get you to choose the good guy and go into verisimilitude).

All that said, europe has this weird ego thing where they want to be proud of their governmental leaders (this is a strange thing, as the well meaning personality type isn't successful in politics in general), and they want to be proud to other people ("ours is better than yours"). We consider it goofy over here except for the impractical types on both ends (academia, media, and people at the other end who can be made to donate money to anything that's suggested as taking their freedom away).

When you look at what actually happens day to day when you turn the politicians off (I don't listen to trump, didn't listen to obama - it makes life easier), you realize they're not that much different. Obama was far smoother about doing stupid things - he had someone else do them instead, and it's clear he spent a lot of time on how he presented himself, but he wasn't afraid to lie and bully - he was just smart enough to let someone else do it.

Trump clearly has several sections of bridge missing and the stream to cross between thought and speech is a tiny step.

But, day to day life here is about the same as it has been for as long as I can remember. The President flat out can't do that much by themselves and consensus in the other branches is rare. It's not concerning.

We have a scottish friend who comes over here often and he apparently watches more CNN and fox news that we do (we don't watch political news in this house - it's for stupid people). He believes the BBC is basically scientifically proven truth. I think on average, it's a lot less sensational, but to assume that it's an unmassaged news feed is a bit naive. He's massively offended that we don't know much about UK politics, but why should we? If your leader is an silly person, it's your problem and not mine, and as my dad would say "when someone is that concerned about what's on your plate, they probably need a hobby".

as i mentioned above, we're in deep in our next election. we have a life long business leader who has had a lack of people saying no to him, and another guy who makes dunkin donuts jokes to indian people and hasn't really accomplished anything, and now he's geriatric on top of that. We had another geriatric dip before that. We'll have an silly person for president next term - it's guaranteed. But it won't change much in how the country operates and it won't really get to our doorsteps here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdyn_rNMh0I

The problem in the US and much of the world is people like me can't take a whack at either politician without someone thinking "you're on the wrong side". I"m not on any side. That's how we should all be.

Chris152":2pk2z2nd said:
Yep - clearly narcissistic personality disorder in an extraordinarily stupid form.

How many people do you think get to the presidency in the US without it. Bill Clinton had a problem with it, Trump has a problem with it, Obama had a problem with it (listen to his speeches and note how often he uses the word "I" when the topic has nothing to do with him). Obama was subtle and smooth, Clinton was smooth, but not honest. Trump ....well, boy is he different. WAY too confident - decades of being a business leader where he could surround himself with loyalists.

But if you line up the things he's said there were really stupid (if you have enough ink), and the things that are stupid that he's been able to get implemented, he's a centrist populist type here. he's not going to change. I hope he doesn't get reelected, and I hope biden can't get elected - don't know what he'll plagiarize when he gets in office.

I have no idea how that's possible, but we're appreciative here (some of us) that with the trump comedy hour came a break in the extreme tendency toward globalism, stirring the pot with Russia (what kind of payoff were we expecting there?) and treating the Chinese like they're an honest family member (same comment as Russia). We've got it pretty good here, political idiots or not.

D_W":2lwvxye5 said:
That would work":2lwvxye5 said:

No matter how the next election goes, the stupidity will continue. We have two geriatric head nodders running who don't really have much ability to grasp and manipulate concepts.

But they have the money. Until America comes up with a system that doesn't require megabucks to run, then I'm afraid you're stuffed.

Terry - Somerset":2xxizh6u said:

No.o.o.o.o....it is NOT a comedy. It is the most depressing film I've ever seen as it points the way (accurately) where humankind is going. I stopped watching it.

Back on topic, the next time you watch Trump talking. Look at his mouth. Does it remind you of a part of a feline anatomy ? You know, the way they walk with their tails in the air.

Poor old Trump is such an easy target - it's not really sporting.

Good old H L Mencken: "On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

He also said, "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the most daring liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth."

I am in agreement with virtually all his quotes - it doesn't make me popular at dinner parties.

John Brown":20exi6cx said:
Good try, D_W. Especially the comparison with Obama.

I'm off to grate some chalk for my pizza.

That's how a lot of people over here think - a distrust for all politicians. We suspect the folks like Hillary and Obama (and George Bush Sr) who are more calculating about their personal appearance really don't have a lot of good for anyone, either.

Maybe that's a foreign concept over there.

The 25% partisans on each end are idiots. The folks who go from making fun of russia being a threat to telling us how big of a threat they are without noticing not many years have passed, and the people who try to tell us that Trump is misunderstood and it's all the media.

They're two different sides of pro-wrestling booking.

But, let's be clear, most people here don't care at all what other countries think about the politicians, just as most English folks would find it appalling that most americans don't follow much of anything about international politics.

The media pushed Obama for us and really curated his image - they adored him. He gave us a ton of debt and a promise to make it easier for China to transfer wealth without much oversight, and his bookers (pro wrestling term) decided that the main event would be anti Russia after Mitt (who seems sleazy to me, too) said only a few years before that russia was a bigger threat than terrorists and was ridiculed into revising his stance.

You may not see these things from outside the US. I don't favor another term of Trump, but there's some safe feeling in the fact that he can't hide anything. Our government is divided up into its administrative form (which is 90% of it) and elected officials. What the 90% of the government does (I work with that part on a regular basis) doesn't change much no matter what the booked message is. I think Biden will be elected and the gaffes will be different but the day to day running of the country won't change much.

We'll see people in Spain and England telling us we should be embarrassed, but we think you need to stiffen your wrists a little bit if you're that insecure.

In the UK conventional constitutional wisdom is that ministers sit at the top of the tree and take responsibility for the actions of the departments of state for which they are responsible.

The reality is that the typical minister has either limited or (often) no experience of the activities of the department he/she has been given responsibility for.

Nick Hancock, pivotal in the CV-19 outbreak as Health minister, has no experience of medicine other than (probably) the occassional visit to a GP etc. He is a PPE graduate from Oxford, who spent time in the family computer software business before working as an economist in the Bank of England.

The minister sets priorities (based inevitably on advice and input from civil servants) and is the departments budget champion in cabinet discussions.

Effective power rests with a permanent Civil Service whose role is to support governments of all persuasions. They try to resist political interference, mostly successfully. The nature of a permanent civil service may be very different in other countries where political patronage dominates.

So ministers get the blame for the inadequacies of Civil Servants, and take the credit for their successes. This may be a fair balance, although rather than blaming ministers for deficiencies in contingency planning, resources, testing, etc, we should probably place a greater focus on the civil servants who over the years have advised ill informed ministers.

Back