Trueing a wetstone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
The stone on my Rexon horizontal grinder is no longer flat. As I been (attempting) to flatten the backs of a new set of chisels, the stone's got progressively worse. I've resorted to a hand stone which I can keep flat with the aid of a sheet of toughened glass.

Whats the best way to bring the stone flat again?

Ike

Ike,

Just remembered and had a look at the pistures Tony posted of his stones. If you haven't got a piece of glass big enough, then I'd use a piece of mdf and spray mount a number of abrasive sheets to it. Then all you have to do is rub it around to get it nice and flat.

I reckon that would work until you get the raised bit in the middle.

IIRC Tony's had sucess using a devil stone to dress the wheel, and I found a dimond stone not bad either. The devil stone's much cheaper though.

Cheers, Alf

Hhmmm...thinking aloud here. I'd seen the diamond trueing thingy on a stick on Axminster. Problem as I see it is not only is stone 'domed' slightly, the wear is uneven around the periphery - theres a real low spot. If I flatten it on glass, I'll get it flat but maybe not even thickness so it'll still undulate at the periphery. I could use the devil stone but same problem perhaps. But if I mounted the trueing 'device' on the sliding tool holder, I could get it flat and level guaranteed. Maybe adapt the diamond stick thingy i.e bend the handle so I can clamp it to the toolholder so it'll come down flat onto the stone (making the angle adjuster a height adjuster), or maybe I could true it back just by sharpening a planer blade (shame I haven't got a spare one that can be sacrificed).

Thanks all for the suggestions - any further input more than welcome.

Ike

Just wondering, but would mounting it onto a lathe and dressing the stone on there be a big no-no? :?

Edited because it would be pretty pointless as that is the same as dressing it whilst mounted on the unit itself.

Maybe a cheaper solution than using the diamond stick thingy clamped to the toolholder would be to stick wet n' dry to a piece of wood clamped to same. Worth trying but what grit paper is best for 1000 grit wetstone?

Ike

Ike

I used a DMT diamond stone for a while and it was great. I then purchased the devil stone from Axminster for about £4 and this works fine

I remove the tool rest and then simply hold the stone across the entire wheel as it spins

Ok, I'll give it a whirl. BTW. There was I steadfastly 'flattening' my chisels only to discover I was steadily making them more concave :cry: Still, managed to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat avec trusty hand stone. :)

thanks AP. I know he's been thrashing the poor thing (the Rexon that is) :shock :lol: : . I was thinking of alternatives cos I haven't got a trueing stone and sods law I put an order in to Axminster the day before this problem came up.

Ike

Latest posts

Back