Tru-Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Just received my first bottle of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil to try out. Saw a video that compared other finishes to this and it looked worth looking into.

Found that Swillington Shooting Supplies in Leeds seem to offer the best price at £12-50 for 8oz bottle and with postage that was £16.45 total.

Now to see how it compares.

Nearly £17 for 225ml !!

Isn't there something equivalent from a UK manufacturer.

E bay aren't any cheaper for 8 oz tru oil, so probably a reasonable price at £17.00.
Regards Rodders

JohnPW":1fl55fmk said:
Nearly £17 for 225ml !!

Isn't there something equivalent from a UK manufacturer.

Hi John,

Net 240ml on the bottle, but I wanted to try something new and I have not tried before to see how good it is. Always seeking the best, wherever it comes from.

I bought a similar sized bottle some while ago and so far only used very little of it. However, noticing that the screw top is not air tight and contents starting to 'gel'. So, a long winded way of saying to consider decanting some into an airtight container or sealing the bottle in a suitable container to avoid wastage.

It's good stuff - I just wipe on with a lint free cloth, several coats. Leave alone for gloss; fine W&D or similar for a matt finish.

Thanks for the tip Mike, I will make shure it is stored accordingly.

I did have a tin of Osmo oil which was hard when I opened it up recently, so need to get some more of that sometime.

the way that I use it is not to peel back the silver foil on the top. just pierce it. For your bandsaw boxes, you will only be using a few drops per coat. A little goes a long way, and it is one of my favourite finishes to use, particularly on walnut.

Dont buy the 32oz container unless you use it in industrial quantities, or it will go thick before you can use it. I find the 8oz to be about the best value.

The last tin that I stored upside down, leaked. I must have not shut it correctly and the black paint had run around the box onto other tins. I know...... I need to be more careful.

I do agree that iot would normally stop the air getting in.

Storing it upside down will give you considerably longer shelf life. At least double, providing it isn't already starting to oxidise.
Tru Oil is almost like a thick version of Danish Oil, a lot less solvent content. Perhaps a bit nicer to use. It's largely based on Linseed, whereas the Danish Oil (at least some of them) seem to have a high Tung oil content. I tend to use Colron Danish oil because it has a resin content. Both will give a high gloss if you put enough coats on. Wipe on, wipe off. One of the easiest finishes to use.

As long as the top seals well put some marbles or clean pebbles in the tin to reduce the air gap, also helps with agitating settled contents.

A useful exercise for any product that has a habit of polymerising with air exposure.

Another good tip is to store the wiping cloth in a sealed container with a few drops of turps/turps subs. It keeps the cloth sweet. If you use a fresh cloth each time it tends to use more oil, as it continually wicks into the cloth.
Use a metal container if you are worried about self the oily cloth fire hazard.

Back