Tru-Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafter678

Reaction score
Hi all
Ive recently finished a guitar building project and i want to apply a glossy finish.Im used to using laquers but im thinking about Tru-Oil. I have never used it before and have been searching the net for advice.Has anyone here used it for any projects.Is there a particular wood it suits better? The guitar build is mahogany with a maple top. Any advice or pics of any of your furniture projects that you have used Tru Oil on is much appreciated.

John

well, jimi43 is the resident expert on this stuff...

I have used it on a few things. tool handles and work benches but looks like you want something a bit less utilitarian. I was looking for whether it was compatible with french polish last week, and there are various luthiers forums discussing using tru-oil, which is probably very relevant to your application.

the response I got from the manufacturers was

"Tru-Oil will give you a hard natural oil finish that dries fast, resists water damage and will not cloud, crack or yellow with age.
We recommend 4-5 coats for good overall protection. You will start building on the gloss from your 5th coat on. If you are trying to achieve a high gloss finish all you need to do is keep applying the Tru-Oil and then stop when you are happy with the finish. You don't need to put anything on after the Tru-Oil.

We have checked around a bit, and no one here has any experience with French Polish. So, unfortunately we don't have the answer your looking for.
You might just have to experiment a bit.
Feel free to let us know how it works out for you."

didnt really help me, but it may be useful to you!

hth
Mark

I recently used Tru-oil on a Holly recorder I made on the recommendation of the course tutor where I made it. He is a professional maker of baroque bassoons. Ihave to say I was very impressed by it. Available on line or at most gun shops.

Jim

worth noting that a little goes a long way. the 32oz bottle may be cheaper per oz but it does go off. I have plastered my 8oz bottle over everything i could find- a bench top has had 2 or 3 coats massaged into it, numerous tool handles, a box I am making and there is still plenty left. that was about a tenner. the 3oz was £6 if i recall correctly.

numerous ways of applying it- my favourite is to put a pair of latex gloves on (didnt do this the first time) and rub it in with my hands. just wipe off any excess after 15 mins.

Back