tru oil vs peacock oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be finishing a bass guitar, and want to use an oil based finish,

have any of you compared tru oil to peacock oil? I am intrigued by peacock oil because it seems similar and is a gun stock oil finish,

would appreciate any opinions on it, thanks.

I haven‘t any experience of Tru Oil but have been using Peacock Oil for some time and find it to be excellent.

I seem to recall Shane Skelton of Skelton Saws (the manufacturer) has previously worked as a gunsmith. He’s a really nice guy and very helpful with questions.

@jimi43 formerly of this parish showed a guitar on Bench talk 101 last Thursday that he finished with Tru oil you can hear & see what he thinks of Tru oil from around 7 minutes in on this video.

After seeing the finish he achieved I’ll certainly be trying out Tru oil, even though I like & use Shane’s Peacock oil.

I found tru oil to be more like a wiping varnish than an oil finish, can start to be a bit plasticcy but does give a resilient finish. Interested in thoughts on peacock oil

I've used try-oil on rifle stocks which have then been used regularly for many years in sun, wind and rain and it's incredibly robust. It doesn't crack, chip or scratch.

I did try using it on a maple box I made and it was probably a bit yellow. On darker woods (such as my walnut rifle stocks) it's great.

I haven't used peacock oil so can't give you a comparison.

I'm gonna go with tru-oil, it sounds ideal, thanks for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back