Troubleshooting benchtop thickness planer Makita

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I will probably sell my benchtop planer, as I do not have space and voltage for a proper dust extraction system to run simultaneously with the thickness planer. As I am working with hand tools only, I would get rid of this crutch and go cold turkey.

It was only used a little so far, but I have some issues that appeared recently. I want to repair them before selling the machine.
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

1. I tried to clean the bed as much as I could, but I get weird black stains on the bottom of the board that is touching the bed. In the picture, there are remains of the candlestick that I used on the bed. Otherwise, it is clean.
I have been having this issue for a few months, and I did not use the thicknesser a lot during this time. Just a few times.

Here is a sample board for my new workbench. This is the side that was contacting the bed (bottom), not the cutter head(top).
IMG_1001.JPG

2. When I started to plane those boards for a workbench, I have seen on the top of the board some burn marks. It is where the cutting took place.
I did not touch the knives, so they are as they came from the factory, and the finish used to be beautiful back then. Now I feel that it is a little bit rougher. Maybe I just should turn the knives around, as they are disposable and have to be fliped first because they have two edges and after the second edge is blunt they will be replaced.

I just want to make sure that those burn marks are from dull knives and not because of some other issue.
IMG_1003.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG

Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0998.JPG
    IMG_0998.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0999.JPG
    IMG_0999.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
My old elu used to do this due to a combination of blunt knives and also the feed rollers sometimes slip which I assume the cutters are in one place too long. Not sure if the Makita has feed rollers but might be worth giving them a clean. The Elu has rubber coated rollers that become smooth and slip with age.
Alasdair

Back